Best way to raise Floor Level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my garage conversion to a dining room I want to raise the floor by 160mm to be level with the concrete step that leads into the garage from my kitchen.
Would it be sufficient to use 4" x 2" timbers in joist hangers attached to the walls each side or what other methods are there?
I`m using 22mm t&g chipboard flooring.
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
insulation boards down first.. then the underfloor heating, then the screed and then the laminate flooring.. ;)

seriously though, the floor will need insulating.... and a DPM as well..

and this should be in the flooring forum, not plastering..

Your joists need to be deeper than four inches if you're creating a dining room. You will need to take into the account the loading on the floor and the span of the joists to calculate what you need.

Don't forget you'll need to provide ventilation for the void.

Sponsored Links
4x2's will be fine as long as you create mini sleeper walls under them. Something like tile, cement and some dpm would do the job. If there's no DPM in the floor you'd be well advised to ventilate it and/or seal it in some way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back