best way to reinforce garage storage level joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to move some heavy boxes (500 lbs?) onto a little storage loft in my garage built by the previous owner. Unfortunately it only has 2x4's 24 OC that go directly into cinder blocks on both sides. Normally i would just sister the joists with 2x8's, but i am unfamiliar with this method of joists going into cinder blocks.

Should i mount a 4x4 directly below the existing joists so they rest on it and then sister them or ?.....

I tried searching but havent come up with anything.

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do the load bearing points will still be at the joist into cinder block location, if that is ok, beefing up the existing joists might work but I think that will depend on the span. 500 Lbs is a lot of weight and you say some, but how many is some? What you might be better asking are the joist suitable for the implied load??...pinenot :)

Wow, not the response i was looking for.....guess i'll try talking with the guys at home depot

The boxes were just an easier way for me to say my engine crane, engine stand and a set of rims with tires with the future possibility of adding a compressor up there too.

Sponsored Links
we don't know what the span is.

some pics would help.

You can use joist hangers into the block and put a load more in.

I did exactly as joe suggested, joist hangers with 2x12's

thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back