Help Reinforcing Garage Ceiling for Attic Storage:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all. I have a garage (1 1/2 car), not attached to the house. I am in the process of remodeling it, and I have a question about converting the attic crawl space above the ceiling into a usable space for light storage. Nothing really heavy. I would just like a place to store the outside Christmas decorations, and maybe some off season items like a leaf blower and what not.

The span is around 15 feet. It is basically cinder block walls on a concrete foundation, basic roof design, no hanging trusses, unlike my house roof. Right now, there are about 9 joists (2x6, 24 1/2" off center) supporting the ceiling. If i grab onto one and pull it, it has a good amount of sag to it if i put my weight on it. I realize that I am putting my weight on one spot on one joist and its not evenly distributed. I was also up there to clean out the attic vents and the joists were pretty unstable to walk on. I definitely would like to try to get some stability up there.

From asking around, I gather the best way is to sister another 15' long 2x6 with glue and screws to each existing joist. Would it also be alright to decrease the width between the joists by adding another 2x6 in-between the others? Even if its not between every space? Also, instead of sistering another 2x6 to the existing ones, if I sistered a 2x8 to each one instead? Even a 2x10? Theres plenty of room for me to stand up up there so I'm not worried about losing the additional 2-4" of floor space by adding 2x8's or 2x10's. I just want whats most stable. Follow this up by laying down a few sheets of plywood for the floor covering.

Just wondering if I'm on the right track. Any other ideas from experts would be more than appreciated. Just want the most economical way of doing this. Seems a waste to waste that space up there.

Sponsored Links
You could use 4"x2" screwed and glued on top or alternativley 2"x2"screwed and glued top and bottom get fairly knott free for the latter,before you start it would be a good idea to prop them up in the middle and get them all straight it a good oppertunity because you in effect building laminated beam so what ever you do stayes ,If its ever likely to get other use up there,it could be a good idea to get a couple of row's of struts while your at, it to stop deflection.

You could use 4"x2" screwed and glued on top or alternativley 2"x2"screwed and glued top and bottom get fairly knott free for the latter,before you start it would be a good idea to prop them up in the middle and get them all straight it a good oppertunity because you in effect building laminated beam so what ever you do stayes ,If its ever likely to get other use up there,it could be a good idea to get a couple of row's of struts while your at, it to stop deflection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back