Timber frame dimensions for timber base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am installing a log cabin and buiidng a timber frame resting on a timber post, which will be resting on a concrete slab.

As i look at the log cabin, the dimensions left to right will be 3.3m, and from front to back, 2.3m.

My plan is this:

1. Laminate / double up 2x6 timber around the perimeter.
2. once level and square and sat on posts, i will install 2x6 joists at 400m centres, working from left to right across the structure.

My question is this:

I plan on running lengths of timber (2x6") from front to back (2124mm internal measurement), hanging on joist hangers either side (one at front of frame, one at back). I will also use noggins.

Will these joists be okay in 1 length (ie. will the frame support it, bare in mind log cabin weight will be on outer perimeter of frame) or do i need to install another piece of timber from left to right, halfway into the frame, therefore making the joists from front to back 2x1062mm instead of 1 x 2124mm?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine to me , but rather than joist hanger you could just screw in place .

Sounds fine to me , but rather than joist hanger you could just screw in place .
Thanks for your reply.

As it's a floating timber base (resting on pads around perimeter frame), do i also need to put a support pad underneath the flooring joists (effectively in middle of log cabin) Or will they be supported enough just by using joist hangers and noggins, connected to perimeter frame?

The weight of the log cabin will be on the perimeter frame.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back