nail or screw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building a timber frame for log cabin with 2x6 timbers around perimeter.

I have bought screws however i have started to think that nailing will be better?

What length and diameter nails would you advise for nailing cross grain and into end grain (e.g. fitting joists to perimeter frame, and joining frame together around permieter)

Please may someone send me a link to the best type of nail?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think in the vast majority of applications screws will hold better than nails.....although ring shank nails get one hell of a grip.
You might like to include some coach bolts into the construction if possible?
John :)

i'll be laminating the perimeter so using doubled up 2x6 that will be coach bolted together. I'm just concerned that screws won't hold strong enough? I have 80mm x 5mm screws - do you think they'd be ok?

I think in the vast majority of applications screws will hold better than nails.....although ring shank nails get one hell of a grip.
You might like to include some coach bolts into the construction if possible?

would these do?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-annular-ring-nails-3-75-x-75mm-1kg-pack/18793

obviously the 2x6 is 47mm wide so nailing cross grain and into the end grain there will be approx 30mm into the end grain - is that enough support?

Sponsored Links
I think the screws will be just fine - the head will pull right in on tightening.......Spax do 90x5 and 100x5 if you need them.
Just personally speaking I just use ring shank nails for fencing boards / arris rails etc but I don't do much of that now and I don't have a nail gun.
Fixings into end grain will never be ideal - screws are probably better but I'd want more than 30mm penetration if possible.
Give it a moment and someone else will come along!

I built a 30 sq metre garden cabin -4 x 2 studwork and screwed it together, then used 50mms for screwing on 18mm OSB

I used 100 x 5mm where screwing into end grain, although 80's hold quite well

screwing pulls in nicely and its easier to hold studs flush whilst screwing.

I laid the timbers out for a complete frame, pencil marked them all and drilled all first, then assembled.

I built a 30 sq metre garden cabin -4 x 2 studwork and screwed it together, then used 50mms for screwing on 18mm OSB

I used 100 x 5mm where screwing into end grain, although 80's hold quite well

screwing pulls in nicely and its easier to hold studs flush whilst screwing.

I laid the timbers out for a complete frame, pencil marked them all and drilled all first, then assembled.

ah cool thanks. i've just checked and the screws are 5mm x 90mm so i'm sure they'll be fine.

is it easy enough to keep the frame square while screwing in?

I plan on screwing external frame together first, and then screwing and bolting on the internal frame (i am doubling up around perimeter)

cheers

Screw every time , make an error or change you mind and you will kick yourself if it’s all nailed up .

Nails for horizontal loads is best.
Screws can snap easily when weight is put on them horizontally
That’s what I’ve always done anyway. On anything big with weight!
Shelves fine lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back