drilling/screwing into end grain of wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm building a timber frame for log cabin using 2x6 timber and they will be joining forming a 90 degree angle at corners.... Therefore to join together I will be screwing through the side of one piece of timber, but into the end grain of another piece... Would this provide enough strength?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm building a timber frame for log cabin using 2x6 timber and they will be joining forming a 90 degree angle at corners.... Therefore to join together I will be screwing through the side of one piece of timber, but into the end grain of another piece... Would this provide enough strength?
Thats fine but are you not using posts at corners?

Sponsored Links
as an aside
end grain wont hold screws as well as across grain so countersink and pilot but not the end grain for up to no12/6mm screws at least

Thanks for replies. I have been advised for log cabin it is best to build the frame and literally sit it on top of the timber legs/pads, rather than bolt it to the side....

as an aside
end grain wont hold screws as well as across grain so countersink and pilot but not the end grain for up to no12/6mm screws at least

So countersink and pilot across grain but no pilot going into the grain?

yes definately don't pilot
dependant on what screws you use piloting may not be needed across the grain but safer to make sure the head is sunk so components sit flat rather than held apart by a proud screw head

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back