Best way to remove a large tree stump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a large, dying/dead Robinia tree felled about a year ago. The tree surgeon couldnt remove the stump with his saws and said we needed a grinder. The problem is we only have access from the side alley for 60cm width, the machine is 90cm wide and I am reluctant to bring it through the house - he says the grinder can weigh 2 tonnes and I dont know if the floor can handle it.

Can anyone offer any helpful suggestions/advice how best to deal with it? We want to level the garden (it slopes a lot there) so ideally we want to get rid of it. However, it is in the far corner of my garden, so if too expensive/problematic, we could leave it as it is. Thanks a lot.

The stump is about 90cm high, diameter about 110cm and circumference about 340cm.

Pics:
Before:
Now:

Sponsored Links
They did a fair job of getting that down in a small area - not the easiest trees to work on either.

You can get smaller stump grinders, much like little rotivators. They'll just take longer.

What about cutting it into a chair shape with a chainsaw? We've done that for a good few stumps and the householders like it (not so much a year down the line when it's covered in slime, but they can always put a cushion on)

And you /can/ grind any stump out with a chainsaw if you have skill and patience - and a crap chain you don't mind losing. Or just cut it as close to ground level and stick a pot plant on top of it.

You can get smaller stump grinders, much like little rotivators. They'll just take longer.

But would these smaller grinders be able to handle a stump as high as 90cm? I thought they were only for much smaller stumps...

What about cutting it into a chair shape with a chainsaw? We've done that for a good few stumps and the householders like it (not so much a year down the line when it's covered in slime, but they can always put a cushion on)

That's exactly what they did - have a closer look at the picture. I was hoping to see the back of the whole tree, however...

Incidentally, how much would you think a fair price for the work done til now (i.e. felling it til the stump)?

Sponsored Links
That is one big tree stump you've got there nervous :eek: .

Incidentally, how much would you think a fair price for the work done til now (i.e. felling it til the stump)?

My mum's just had some pro aborists do some saw/felling work and they were charging a dayrate of £150 each (they were a 2 man team - for safety reasons I presume). By pro, I mean fully geared up with stihl clobber - not a handyman chancing his arm. She was happy with their rate and is clued up in that area. But we're not in London so I would expect to double that down there :LOL:.

hth

That is one big tree stump you've got there nervous :eek:

So do you think a regular grinder would be suitable to get rid of it? I mean, practically speaking, how do you even get the grinder on top of the stump?!

And yes, we paid a lot more than £150...although we had 3 guys working for I think 1.5 days, so maybe overall it was a decent price.

Last autumn I was quoted £380 for the removal of a similarly sized Ash that is unfortunately infected with Honey Fungus but overhead power lines are involved. I‘ve delayed making a decision as EDF are due a tree trimming inspection & I’m hoping I can con them into removing it instead of the usual trimming exercise on the basis it’s a threat to their power lines; I managed to wangle it 2 years ago with a similarly infected but smaller Willow tree; the guy had it trimmed & dropped in 20 minutes flat but I was left to clear up the mess but I now reckon I’ve got enough wood to last me 10 years.

But would these smaller grinders be able to handle a stump as high as 90cm? I thought they were only for much smaller stumps...

Er, you cut it down to ground level with a chainsaw /before/ you start grinding. Grinding's only needed once you go below soil level.

Insurance is a big part of it as well as access here. If taken away, wild arm-waving guess of about 600-850 (I will be wrong since it's 20 years since I priced any arboriculture!)

I‘ve delayed making a decision as EDF are due a tree trimming inspection & I’m hoping I can con them into removing it instead of the usual trimming exercise on the basis it’s a threat to their power lines; I managed to wangle it 2 years ago with a similarly infected but smaller Willow tree; the guy had it trimmed & dropped in 20 minutes flat but I was left to clear up the mess but I now reckon I’ve got enough wood to last me 10 years.

As someone who used to do exactly that, I think you have an excellent chance. Clearing up and leaving things tidy enough to please the landowner is the most expensive and time consuming part - if the landowner is prepared to do that for a bit of extra cutting, bargain! If everyone did that it'd be a lot more fun to be a tree surgeon :)

Some landowners get away with very unreasonable demands - such as cutting down extra trees, hedging a long length instead of just under the wires. One farmer who ran hedge laying courses insisted that everyone (including me) who was going to work on his hedges paid to do a day's course with him before he'd let them on his land! Sure, Eleco could have forced his hand with the access powers, but generally they're happier just to get the job done and move onto the next one.

I have just had 2 trees taken down and I am in a similar position.

Acces to the back is not practical so a grinder is out.( still finding sawdust in the house :cry: )

The tree guys have cut both stumps pretty low but they are still in the way of future plans for the garden.

...at my age the stumps will outlast me if I wait for them to rot so I am also looking for a solution

......... I have seen advice on the net that suggests the following method

- you can drill holes (as large a diameter and as deep as possible) in the stump, you then fill holes with either diesel or engine oil. Repeat several times over a period of 3 or 4 weeks. Then simply apply a match. apparently it will burn with a low smokeless flame and if you are lucky will smoulder its way through most of the rootball :eek:

What do you guys reckon????

Around 5 years ago I dug one out; it was only around 500mm dia, it took me 1 ½ days, nearly killed me & I knackered 2 chainsaw blades cutting through the stump & roots (my axe just bounced off!) but I got it out in the end.

I've dug out quite a few tree stumps. I like to leave them as high as possible and attach a winch cable at the top and then use the length of the stump as a lever to really apply strain to the roots. I’ve used a few different anchors but find something solid like the house is the best. I’ve used a long cable right through the house tied to half a dozen scaffolding boards across a window works well. (I’ve tried using a car but it just moves).
Dig out as much as you can round the tree stump, winch as hard as you can and chop the roots with a big axe,

I've dug out quite a few tree stumps. I like to leave them as high as possible and attach a winch cable at the top and then use the length of the stump as a lever to really apply strain to the roots. I’ve used a few different anchors but find something solid like the house is the best. I’ve used a long cable right through the house tied to half a dozen scaffolding boards across a window works well. (I’ve tried using a car but it just moves).
Dig out as much as you can round the tree stump, winch as hard as you can and chop the roots with a big axe,

Nice idea - trouble is the house is 45m away from the stump :rolleyes:

I was kind of hoping someone had tried the burning trick as I would have to dig a path up and move a shed to dig it up.
Ah well I may have to just attack it with the drill, hammer chisel etc and try and worry the bugger to death

Why not to look for burning the entire stump... it is quite easy, cheap and quick process. However, you need to have few few precautions and guides on how to burn the entire stump efficiently ..... But, I suggest hire a professional tree surgeon or tree removal company to do that work for you... There might be a lot of roots spread way long under your house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back