Best Way to Remove Putty from Wooden Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I hope some of the experienced DIYers can provide some advice. I need to remove a hard putty like substance (not sure exactly what it is) from my ceiling (thin wooden boards, see pic below). What would be the best technique to use to minimise damage to the wood? I can buy new tools if necessary.

Thanks for your thoughts.

putty.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like no nails/sticks like sh*t. Just chisel it off best you can. Wood ceilings don't look good anyway.

Thanks for your reply. I'm also thinking about heating it with a hot air gun before scraping, do you think that's a good idea?

If so, what power of hot air gun should I buy?

Many thanks

Try a hair dryer first. Hot air gun may take off the varnish. I got one from Lidl for a fiver.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. I have tried my hairdryer, but whilst it will soften it slightly, it doesn't have a significant effect.

I think I need something more powerful. If I use a hot air gun on a lower setting, I'm hoping it will work without damaging the varnish.

Thanks again.

You may be able to shield the timber. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back