Best way to run central heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be a daft question but I'd appreciate some advice please. What is the most cost effective/fuel efficient way to run a central heating system : on 24/7 or timed on/off?

Sponsored Links
I have spent all my adult life wondering about this and never come to a satisfactory conclusion. I even bought an expensive room stat with different temps for different times of day and that didn't seem to work (even after I had worked out how to programme the damned thing).

One thing is sure - the structure and contents of a house do warm up and hold heat, which is why it feels so cold for a couple of days after you return from a winter holiday and turn the heating on. The rate of heat loss is related to the amount of insulation. In the ideal house I suppose you would run the heating 24/7 and maintain an even temp of around 19 C everywhere, just adding local heat with a room fire in the evenings. Your stat would be good enough and correctly placed to make allowance for this. In the real world we run our heating for an hour or two mornings and all evenings and grit our teeth when the gas bill comes in.

BTW our gas bill has now nearly doubled over last year - anybody else noticed this?

Thanks RigidRaider. So, not such a daft question - just one that's difficult to answer! Thanks for trying anyway.

Sponsored Links
There is no right or wrong way only the way that suits you. If you are concerned about gas bills take a reading then leave heating on 24/7 for a week at low only putting high as required. Take second reading then use as required (hour in morning 3 at night etc) Take third reading and see which method used most gas and gave you mpst comfort. Not totally accurate but may help.!
Depends on house and insulation as well as lots of other factors so hard to answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back