Best way to seal the join in external french windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

What is the best way to seal the centre gap where timber french doors meet?

I dont mind routing a slot to fit a seal on the edge of the door, but i dont have a lot of room to play with between the locking mechanism and the edge of the wood.

They are external oak doors, but fitted inside where the porch goes into the hallway, so they dont have to be water tight, just cold air tight to prevent the drafts from the porch in the winter.

Google search isnt returning much info.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming the edge of the doors is not rebated at all, and is just a pair of doors with a gap down the middle, then I would use a plant-on rebate on one or both sides (is it french doors with a master-slave?). I make mine as an L shape with a very small short leg which locates with a groove machined in the face of the door perhaps 5-6mm deep which when glued in is very secure. If you use a schlegel seal e.g. https://www.screwfix.com/c/security-ironmongery/door-window-seals/cat840242?brand=schlegel you have to machine a slot typically 2.5mm wide to take the leg of the seal. Depending on the thickness of your door you may or may not be able to sneak the slot down the side of the door mechanism, so you'll have to work it out. - Don't fix the plant-on rebate until you've cut the seal slot!! Also, check the positioning of any plant-on with regard to the door handle faceplate. Do make sure if you cut a face groove for a plant-on rebate and a seal groove they are well clear of each other - if they meet the corner of the door will fall off....!!

you can get pair-makers e.g. https://xljoinery.co.uk/products/door-solutions/door-pairs/pair-makers/ but you'd struggle to also machine a slot for a seal.

This is a 56mm door with a groove for a schlegel seal - plenty of room because it's a thick door.

...or use the seal that @Diver Fred links to above - looks like it will do the job. Never used one myself.

Attachments

• door1.png
    door1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Yes french doors with master and slave. No rebates at all and just a gap down the middle where the doors join.

I was initially considering a an AQ21, i have the router bit for it somewhere that even routs a pocket for the seal to compress into, however the doors are 44mm thick with only 13mm either side of the locking mechanism. With the AQ21 being 10.8mm wide i thought it was a little too close for comfort, i envisioned the 2mm wood left splitting over time.

Does a seal similar to the AQ21 but narrower exist? I cant seem to find one if it does.

Love the idea of the plant on rebate, however with the little room to play with i dont think id be able to get the rebate and the seal in without weakening the corner as you say. Is it acceptable to put the seal within the rebate so it compresses and seals against the door face?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

Yes french doors with master and slave. No rebates at all and just a gap down the middle where the doors join.
>>Snip<<
Love the idea of the plant on rebate, however with the little room to play with i dont think id be able to get the rebate and the seal in without weakening the corner as you say. Is it acceptable to put the seal within the rebate so it compresses and seals against the door face?

Thanks
You have looked closely at the stuff in the link I posted above? The size of the deal structure is to lower left hand side
It's a planted on seal but reads it is thin enough to not require any rebating on the door edge.

I did take a look however im not too keen on having a visible aluminum strip down the middle of the two doors. I looked to see if an oak version exists but couldn't find one.

What do you guys think of this...?
5mm wide total, only a 3mm slot needs be cut. Im thinking I could put one of these either side of the lock mechanism like in the second picture on the product page. A slot of 3mm would give 5mm of wood each side. It would also negate the need for the plant on rebate.

They also have these...
The aluminum strip is 5.5mm wide, I could rout a 5.5mm strip down the edge of the door next to the locking mechanism and insert one of those. Id still have 7.5mm wood to the edge of the door.

Failing that, are the brush seals any good? Again, thinking I could put one on the edge of the door next to the locking mechnism.

If the above options are a bad idea I think ill go with the plant on.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back