1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

New windows and French doors fitted, slight cosmetic issues

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by bricksmasher, 2 May 2019.

1. bricksmasher

bricksmasher

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all, I know this is the DIY as such but though you helpful people could offer some advice

I just had new windows and French doors fitted.

One of the bigger windows has a black mark on the inside of the double glazing it can't be removed from the inside or outside of the house.

One of the seals on the French doors has a split of around 1cm

Also there some small scratch marks on the outside.if the French door trim where the French doors meet, and minor ones on the inside in a similar place.

I've paid for these windows etc already, but I have notified the company, I know it's cosmetic but still, I paid several thousand for new windows etc and I'd expect them to be free from scratches etc

Where do I stand if he doesn't help rectify this? As I have my doubts.

Thanks
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Supply and fit or supply only & fitted by someone else?
    If supply and fit then you've done the 1st bit (let them know you're not happy), if they do nowt then give them notice of county court action (28 days), if they still do nowt then small claims and take it from there.
    Supply only- thin ice. Supplier will blame your fitter, will ask why you didn't notify them on delivery of the defects- you might still be able to collect but lower odds of success.
    Why did you pay for the job when it clearly wasn't satisfactory (the split seal is the worst one)?

• Like Like x 1
  3. bricksmasher

bricksmasher

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply

It was supply and fit.

To be honest, I should have examined them all properly before paying, I didnt. We looked at them, everything was a little bit dirty , and I had put it down to that, as theres no running water in house, couldnt blame them for leaving them abit dirtier than I thought. On first glance all looked ok, to my untrained eye

Was only when I went to see for 2nd time, I checked out the french doors and saw the marks, which I tried to wipe away and realised it was small scratches with dirt, the black mark initially i thought was on the outside but later found was on inside of the glass panels.

If i'd looked properly, I wouldnt have paid until rectified, so i know thats my own fault. I really just want the minor things repaired, if thats my legal right.

4. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The scratches and the mystery black mark may be tricky but only maybe- civil court = most likely rather than beyond reasonable doubt. The split seal is unacceptable. Give them time to respond (14 days is reasonable) then escalate if you need to.
    Oddly the most expensive fix will be the scratches. Mystery mark on glass- replace the glass. Split seal - replace seal. External scratches- doubt they'll buff out, new frame incl fitting.