New windows and French doors fitted, slight cosmetic issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I know this is the DIY as such but though you helpful people could offer some advice

I just had new windows and French doors fitted.

One of the bigger windows has a black mark on the inside of the double glazing it can't be removed from the inside or outside of the house.

One of the seals on the French doors has a split of around 1cm

Also there some small scratch marks on the outside.if the French door trim where the French doors meet, and minor ones on the inside in a similar place.

I've paid for these windows etc already, but I have notified the company, I know it's cosmetic but still, I paid several thousand for new windows etc and I'd expect them to be free from scratches etc

Where do I stand if he doesn't help rectify this? As I have my doubts.

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20190502_125257.jpg
    IMG_20190502_125257.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_20190502_130847.jpg
    IMG_20190502_130847.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_20190502_130113.jpg
    IMG_20190502_130113.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20190502_130939.jpg
    IMG_20190502_130939.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 313
Sponsored Links
Supply and fit or supply only & fitted by someone else?
If supply and fit then you've done the 1st bit (let them know you're not happy), if they do nowt then give them notice of county court action (28 days), if they still do nowt then small claims and take it from there.
Supply only- thin ice. Supplier will blame your fitter, will ask why you didn't notify them on delivery of the defects- you might still be able to collect but lower odds of success.
Why did you pay for the job when it clearly wasn't satisfactory (the split seal is the worst one)?

Thanks for the reply

It was supply and fit.

To be honest, I should have examined them all properly before paying, I didnt. We looked at them, everything was a little bit dirty , and I had put it down to that, as theres no running water in house, couldnt blame them for leaving them abit dirtier than I thought. On first glance all looked ok, to my untrained eye

Was only when I went to see for 2nd time, I checked out the french doors and saw the marks, which I tried to wipe away and realised it was small scratches with dirt, the black mark initially i thought was on the outside but later found was on inside of the glass panels.

If i'd looked properly, I wouldnt have paid until rectified, so i know thats my own fault. I really just want the minor things repaired, if thats my legal right.

Sponsored Links
The scratches and the mystery black mark may be tricky but only maybe- civil court = most likely rather than beyond reasonable doubt. The split seal is unacceptable. Give them time to respond (14 days is reasonable) then escalate if you need to.
Oddly the most expensive fix will be the scratches. Mystery mark on glass- replace the glass. Split seal - replace seal. External scratches- doubt they'll buff out, new frame incl fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back