Best way to soundproof a door on the cheap? Expanding Foam?

Sponsored Links
Buy a new 44mm FD30 door. Install acoustic strips to top, sides and bottom.

497931.jpg
7fedbb14-e78b-4344-a6c7-13eee1aafb01.jpg

Sponsored Links
Either way I might try the expanding foam in the door. Might as well give it a go before replacing the door just to see how effective it is, as sort of an experiment. Any ideas about how to do it, like specific areas to drill, how many drill holes etc.. The more I wonder about the honeycomb, I think I might need to pepper the door in holes, like it's been sprayed with a sub machine gun. Then spray the foam in the holes until it oozes out each of them. Sand down the foam and maybe apply some sort of thin plaster layer over each now foam-filled hole. Make sure it's smoothed down, then paint the whole door. Might create a totally new door style that will sell for millions.. :rolleyes:

You mentioned moving them which I'm wondering if it's too big a job for a novice?
Use a stanley knife to cut the paint between the doorstop and the lining, use a tool of your selection to remove the doorstops. Install new door, close the door so the inside face is flush with the lining and re-fix doorstops.

You mentioned moving them which I'm wondering if it's too big a job for a novice?
Use a stanley knife to cut the paint between the doorstop and the lining, use a tool of your selection to remove the doorstops. Install new door, close the door so the inside face is flush with the lining and re-fix doorstops.

Thanks again, that pretty much explains it all. I'll probably end up doing this, is there any specific economical soundproofing door you'd recommend for the job? Seems to be lots of doors which are 44mm FD30 with a very wide price range. I'm wondering if the lower priced ones (around £80) will still be just as effective at soundrpoofing..

Why not swap your room and go upstairs?

Why not swap your room and go upstairs?

I work at all hours from home, calling internationally. Downstairs my calls won't keep housemates awake at 2am in the morning (or whatever time it is). I'm also a regular smoker, one an hour, and the stairs are loud creaky wood so going up and downstairs to get to the garden in the early hours every night might wake people up. Plus I'm near the kitchen and can easily grab food and a hot drink without tackling the stairs every time. Feels like you're playing the drums with your feet.

I recommend not pumping the holes full of foam til it's oozing out, a it's only 1/2 to 1/3 expanded at the time it leaves the can...

I recommend not pumping the holes full of foam til it's oozing out, a it's only 1/2 to 1/3 expanded at the time it leaves the can...

Thanks for the tip cjard, have you tried doing this yourself before?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back