What's the best cheap way to soundproof a bedroom door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to soundproof a bedroom door against the sound from my stereo, which can be quite loud and bassy. I realise it can't be completely soundproofed but I would like lots of deadening. Unfortunately I'm as poor as can be and so it has to be cheap, and I can't afford to buy the wrong materials and start again. The door has a flat panel and I am not fussy about looks. I can't add more than 16mm thickness to the door or it won't open properly. I am thinking of hardboard - say 3 layers of 3mm. Is hardboard a decent sound insulator? Heavy felt carper underlay could be pinned to the door. Rubber seems a bit pricey. I have a couple of rubber car mats I can cut to overhang the edges for a sort of sealing. There aren't gaps though - the sound goes through the door more than round it, I think.
I would appreciate any knowledgeable suggestions.

nb, Mods - I posted in General DIY because It seems as much (or more) about soundproofing as about doors, and because someone already asked about soundproofing a door (by sealing it) in Windows and Doors, and got no replies.

Sponsored Links
Why have your stereo on that loud??? My suggestion would be tackle the problem at source and put a sock in her mouth :idea:

Seriously though, id assume you need something soft that would absorb the sound, maybe some of that foam stuff you get on the walls of recording studios :?:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip, crank39. The pyramid melamine costs hundreds of pounds but the same site sells cheap foam.
My budget really is tiny. Does anyone know if hardboard layers, maybe sandwiched with something less dense, like cardboard, would be good at absorbng sound?

Having seals (that fit) around the door will make a big difference. You can stick as much foam on the door as you like, but if there are gaps all around it will make little difference!

Make sure you have the door threashold sealed as well.

Here is one example I found, but I think even the P or E draft seals would make a difference (DIY store stuff)
http://www.soundservice.co.uk/soundproofing_acoustic_doors_seals.html

Felt Underlay :idea: and get a decent system ..like my Leak Sandwich speakers - for my Jazz......Nice:cool:

glue egg carton trays all over the door, as in a anechoic chamber.

Seriously, sound deadening pads are available, if you can stop the resonating, then you will reduce the sound transmission.

Wotan

perhaps you have a lightweight flush door.

replace it with a heavier (and thicker) 30min Fire Resisting door and fit seals round the edges. A 25mm fire stop will also help.

John is on the money, but unfortunately you don't have any, having spent all your cash on a sound system fit for the Notting Hill carnival!

If you only have 16mm to spare, get some 15mm MDF cut to size at local timber supplier/diy shed etc. The door will be thicker at the edges anyway so you could use 18mm mdf and cut it 15-20mm short all round so the door will have clearance. Screw it into the frame of the door all way round and in the middle too.

If the door is not flat. and has recessed panels like most do, then put something into the recesses before adding the mdf. Carpet underlay, carpet tiles from the poundshop, or ask local carpet shop for clean offcuts.

If you have some clean carpet underlay you could then spray glue it onto the mdf which will slightly reduce the high end making the bass seem louder to your ears, which might encourage you to turn it down from 11 to 10.

You will then still need to address the gaps, maybe some velcro round the door frame, with the other half of the velcro on some mdf strips which cover the gaps? Will be a pita to keep having to remove every time you pop to the kitchen for munchies. ;)

Even after this, you will still find that the bass travels with ease through the walls, floor and ceiling.

Also recommend googling for how to set up an eq properly, all bass and everything else down is not how music is supposed to be heard! :LOL:

I prefer clarity so i normally have the treble turned right up with just a little hint of bass in the background, much netter IMO ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back