Soundproofing an en suite toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

i'm looking for some advice on materials for soundproofing around an existing en suite toilet that already has some soundproofing in the stud wall it's made from.

The main problem is the sound coming from the wastewater from the toilet flush and cistern refilling that can be heard in the next door bedroom (bedroom 2), and the 'scoosh' of the waste water that can be heard directly below in the living room.

I am putting a cupboard on the adjoining wall in bedroom 2 and thought I could sandwich some sort of soundproofing material between the stud wall and the back of the cupboard. Would welcome suggestions.

To minimise the sound of the flush from the living room, I was thinking about adding - blowing? - some sort of material into the voids between the ceiling / floor joists, probably via the living room ceiling so I don't have to get someone to take up the carpet in the second bedroom. Would welcome any suggestions on materials too please.

Many thanks

Paul
IMG_20230423_212833394~2.jpg

Sponsored Links
When we had a water tank in the loft and the wc was fed from that, the sound of the loft tank filling after a flush in the night was quite loud and went on for some time so perhaps our method which we still use even though we don’t have a tank any more might be of use to you. Don’t flush the toilet during the night! Perhaps you could consider using the main bathroom instead?

Sponsored Links
Thanks elite123.

Mottie - that's the approach we've been taking for the last ten years! Thought it might be time for a change....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back