Best way to spend money to heat the home.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Our house is about 35 years old and is cold. Some of our radiators are full of sludge (I think) and although one room gets extremely warm within 30mins of heating going on, the rest of the house remains cold after 4-5 hours of it being on (12°C).

We're happy to spend money but only if it makes it better. I've ran Sentinel x400 through it but the difference is marginal at best.

In your opinion...
1. Get a power flush done
2. Get new radiators for only the ones that don't heat
3. Get all new radiators
4. Get a new boiler (approx 15 years old)
5. Put on an additional front door (realise this isn't plumbing but want to give the option) to make a porch at the front rather than just one door as the hall is always very cold. Image given.

What is best value?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-19-08-54-44-496-edit_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-19-08-54-44-496-edit_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
1. There isn't enough information in your post to give specific advice. What sort of boiler / system? Is it microbore or 15 mm and so on.
2. But there are some things you can do without spending much money:
2.1 Make sure the system is balanced. Endless internet examples on process.
2.2 If you do have a sludge problem take each radiator off in turn, flush through in both directions and upside down while agitating with a soft faced (non-marking) hammer. Outside is best.
2.3 Repeat the X400 treatment
2.4 Flush the system through with mains water.

Thank you - the boiler is a British Gas 330+ (which I believe is a Glow Worm with a different label?) ... I'm no expert but the magnaclean is fitted with a 28mm pipe if that helps.

This services 17 radiators.

What's your insulation like? That's a good starting point.
Why not ask a reputable local firm to attend, balance the system, maybe do a system water check and ask for some recommendations on system improvements.
You might spend a couple of hundred quid getting what you have running properly and also end up with a clearer picture as to how it can be improved upon.

Sponsored Links
35 years old I'd say you have Microbore.
If so it can be risky Powerflushing. It is somthing I have done and with success.

Instead of flushing h one rad at a time I'd flush 2 or 3.

Dose first with x400 give it two weeks then flush.

Never leave x400 in system.
Pump may need replacing and rad valves too.

What's your insulation like? That's a good starting point.
Why not ask a reputable local firm to attend, balance the system, maybe do a system water check and ask for some recommendations on system improvements.
You might spend a couple of hundred quid getting what you have running properly and also end up with a clearer picture as to how it can be improved upon.
We definitely have insulation (there's wee grey balls everywhere at times ) but its something we can definitely look into. I took a wall lamp off today in the lounge and the draft through the small hole for wires was crazy - it felt freezing!

At 35 years old it is very unlikely that the walls are cavity filled. The loft insulation could do with doubling as well. Seal all holes around outside pipework entering house. At least then the home will retain heat longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back