Should I replace my Ideal Classic FF250

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
Our Central heating system is 20 years old. We have Ideal Classic FF250 and five radiators.

Recently, I've noticed temperature in hall between 55 - 60 (too cold for my elderly father). We had to have radiator downstairs altered when stairlift installed. New one is smaller but wider, so I think should be same output?

Although old radiators upstairs heat rooms to approx 65 which is fine, old radiator in front room downstairs doesn't get as hot as it should, and new radiator in hall doesn't seem capable of heating to adequate temperature.

Is it best to replace whole system (but I do believe boiler is a good one - maybe I should hold on to it), or just radiators.

Are all radiators as good as each other, if not which is best make?

Thanks in advance for all your help and comments

Kind Regards

Chris

Sponsored Links
What have you set the boiler flow temperature knob to?

When was your system last serviced?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thermostat on boiler is set to 5, and we last had boiler serviced about 1 year ago by British Gas, though I must admit they never seem to do very much.

Nobody looks at radiators on the service, I do remember some years ago, an independant plumber, put some stuff (can't remember what is was) I think in tank which was supposed to clean inside of radiators

Thanks

Chris

Hi Again,

Just a bit more info if it helps - I've bled the system and the new altech radiator in hall downstairs is hot three quarters of way down, but only tepid (I can keep my hand on it), at lowest quarter. The old radiator in front room is the same.

However all old radiators upstairs are piping hot all over.

Any more help most appreciated.

Bye the way is altech a good radiator make?

Thanks again

Kind Regards

Chris

Sponsored Links
Your system needs balancing!

See FAQ

Tony

Your system needs balancing!

See FAQ

All radiators are essentially the same!

Tony

First thing I would do before condemning anything is get the heating system cleaned out thoroughly, check rad valves and pump are operating correctly and balance system when re filled.

Thanks your your quick and most helpful responses.

While I've been fiddling about, I've realised 2 of the radiators won't turn off at all when central heating is turned on, dial is off,but heat still coming out (they are in rooms I don't use often, so never noticed before).

I assume this is a couple of faulty valves - they are 20 years old.

Is it worth just replacing valves, or more economical in long term to replace radiators?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Keep the boiler, they're a good bombproof design.

Get a decent bod in to check/ replace faulty valves, and balance the system.

Job done for very little cost ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back