Best way to test for voltage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change a single socket for a double, obviously first shutting the power off for the relevant circuit at the consumer unit.

What is the best way to be sure the circuit is dead, with no voltage? Posts I've been reading suggest that neon screwdrivers and voltage sticks may not be the most reliable. I've bought a cheap £10 multimeter from Maplins. Is it best to use the multimeter to check if the circuit is dead? How would I do this? Would I simply touch the black lead to the black (or blue) terminal at the back of the socket, then touch the red lead to the red (or brown) terminal? If the circuit is still live, wouldn't I get a shock doing this? Can all circuits in the house be checked in a similar way?

I've got a healthy respect for electricity, so obviously don't want to do anything wrong!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Putting your meter across the live and neutral terminals on the back of the socket in the AC 500v range will tell you if there is a supply present, you wont get a shock because you should be holding the insulated part of the test probes as far away from the live terminals as practically possible. Expect to see something in the region of 230v if it is live. You can also test live to earth, but obviously this assumes your sockets are properly grounded.

to do a good job:

first test your meter on a known live source

Then, turn the power off, open the socket front, put your tester probes on the terminals, check that they are dead.

Then, turn the power back on, check that the meter now shows live

Then, turn the power back off, test that the meter now shows dead.

Why, you ask?

It proves
1) that your meter is (still) working
2) that the switch you are using to turn the power off and on is the correct switch.

Sometimes (1) and (2) are not the case. Test leads come loose, meters fail, etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back