Best wood for long term external exposure???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make two gallows/corbel type brackets for a pair of Bow windows.

What would be the recommended wood to use?

Plus what if any additional treatment/paint should I use to further help protect the wood?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Most timbers would be suitable for what you require given a treatment and proper maintance of the finish it should outlast most of us.
Some timbers are naturally durable without treatments of course , teak , oak and cedar for example, however they would look out of place if your other joinery is softwood.

Thanks for the reply :D

The bow windows are White Upvc. The brackets once made will be painted white to match.
With this is mind, would you suggest any specific type of timber? Would I need to use a pre treated timber or would it not matter.

The window fitter made some out of sawn timber and they look awful :(

To be honest something like redwood , which is a softwood, is a decent solid timber for joinery takes mouldings well and is strong enough for what you want would be the sort of thing to ask for.
You can use pretreated timbers such as a vav vac process or just treat it after construction with something like a cuprinol fluid , check on data sheets for the best one for use under paints. With pre treated timbers you do have to be careful with machining and sanding as the dust can be harmful and you are advised to treat cut ends anyway.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back