Better underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought 20 packs (31.5m2) of QuickStep Laminate from builders depot.
It comes with free underlay but I'm happy to spend a bit more for a quieter and warmer floor.
It's to be laid on a new build ground floor concrete floor.
Urgent thoughts please?
quickstep-2mm-uniclic-wood-laminate-flooring-underlay-p50769-140821_image.jpg

$_86.JPG

Sponsored Links
Go with unisound or silent walk if getting Quickstep underlay
Or duralay Timbermate Excel

New build floor will already be really well insulated. If you want it to be warm you either need ufh or carpet.
For sound, it's hard to do much unless you want to go for vinyl floor rather than laminate.
For damp the floor should have a DPM properly laid and sealed in a new build, so no need for damp proof underlay.

Sponsored Links
For damp the floor should have a DPM properly laid and sealed in a new build, so no need for damp proof underlay.
Thanks John, using an underlay that is also a DPM was suggested to be a good idea because of any residual moisture in the poured concrete rather than moisture from the ground.

You need to make sure the concrete is fully dry before laying any flooring. Put a plastic sheet down for a couple of days and check for condensation. If there's non underneath, it's dry

You need to make sure the concrete is fully dry before laying any flooring. Put a plastic sheet down for a couple of days and check for condensation. If there's non underneath, it's dry

I don't have a choice sadly - we're due to move in and "she" won't do that without the flooring down.

you living with lord voldermort or something? You don't want to be trapping moisture anywhere in your house, but I suppose if you do it anywhere, a screed floor isn't the worse place. Use the non waterproof (breathable) underlay and at least it will be able to evaporate in the long term.

Or put down a moisture suppressant like

Ardex MVS
Fball F78
Uzin PE404
Laybond rapid dpm

All above you roll on 2 coats

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back