Laminate - which underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
I am soon going to need to buy some underlay for the ground floor of my house. We are having Quick Step Impressive 8mm laminate flooring laid in a couple of weeks. We have just extended the ground floor into our garage to create a large kitchen diner. As a result half of the area is concrete floor and the rest is a raised boarded floor.

What underlay is recommended? The room gets pretty cold in winter so would a decent underlay help insulate? I've read somewhere that a thick underlay could cause issues with the laminate flooring?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As you possibly have a number of issues here, you may need to select a DPM as well, some underlays have a built in DPM. But you also want an insulated product.
So you maybe best, laying a DPM membrane with a fibre board above that.

You need an underlay specifically designed for wood or laminate flooring, that will take out any issue of compatability. The concrete area needs to have a polysheet or inbuilt underlay/dpm combo laid in this area, and the same depth non DPM version of the same product over the wood area. Other than that, fit straight over the top provided the level between the areas is good.

You can use fibre boards approx. 4mm deep or something like Duralay Duratex & Timbermate XL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back