BG want to upgrade pipework from 22mm to 28mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, hoping someone can help me with some advice.
Got a quote from BG to replace my old Ideal Classic FF280 system boiler. We have 17 rads and 3 bathrooms.
BG have recommended a Worcester 24i.
Also they have said that the heating pipes between the boiler and Megaflow tank need to be upgraded from 22mm to 28mm. Now it's not the cost it's more the upheaval. When i queried it the engineer James said we could fall back to an 18Kw boiler to avoid the pipework upgrade.

Now I'm not happy because 2 neighbours in my Close have had the same boiler replaced by BG in the past few weeks. They both had Worcester 30i's fitted and no change to their 22mm pipework. They both had a different engineer spec their systems. Both systems are working well.

I think an 18Kw boiler is way too small for our house but at the same time am wondering what the regs are about heating pipe size for boilers over 18Kw - is 22mm too small.

Wanted to go with BG for a trouble free life after installation and we have a maintenance agreement with them, but I'm now wondering whether to get an independant quote. I need some facts to base any decisions on please :)

Sponsored Links
Also they have said that the heating pipes between the boiler and Megaflow tank need to be upgraded from 22mm to 28mm.

Are you sure that's what they are saying, and they don't mean the pipe between the boiler and the meter?

Also they have said that the heating pipes between the boiler and Megaflow tank need to be upgraded from 22mm to 28mm.

Are you sure that's what they are saying, and they don't mean the pipe between the boiler and the meter?

+1

But if you are not in an emergency situation, why are you automatically going for BG? They might send the guy that lives around the corner anyway.

Yes deffo the pipework from the boiler that runs up to the tank. Basically from new boiler in the utility, up into the loft space and then floors taken up in the bedroom and across the landing. 3 day jobbie in all.

The pipework back to the meter is ok apparently.

As I said went with BG quote for a no-comeback's in having it maintained in the future. Re-thinking now - esp following his 18Kw solution.

Sponsored Links
BG can be a bit of a lottery I think as to who and what you get, some fantastic folks working for them no doubt, and some equally hopeless.

BG did my parents system upgrade a few years ago, (the old man has shares in them, and wont have anyone else!), standard of the craft was awful, basic fundamental plumbing rules ignored, suspect the whole job done at minimum cost for maximum profit.....

A better job could have been done at 2/3rds of the price I would suspect by an independent RGI.

I'd be more pished about being offered a wooshitter Botch I series boiler personally.

Just because your neighbours are functioning, doesn't mean they are functioning correctly.

I am also a little concerned by the model of boiler apparently chosen!

A 24i is a combi boiler!

A heat only as an equivalent to an Ideal Classic is a 24Ri !

Even if the pipework to the cylinder was a little undersized, the boiler would just modulate back and just take a little longer to reheat the water. Not a big issue in my opinion.

Tony

I am also a little concerned by the model of boiler apparently chosen!

A 24i is a combi boiler!

A heat only as an equivalent to an Ideal Classic is a 24Ri !

Even if the pipework to the cylinder was a little undersized, the boiler would just modulate back and just take a little longer to reheat the water. Not a big issue in my opinion.

Tony

Thanks Tony - it's a Greenstar 24i System - not a Greenstar 24i Junior Combi-boiler.

BG have gone very quiet. Will call them again on Monday and meanwhile are looking at local registered firms to come and give me a quote!

The Classic is normally a heat only boiler.

Seems a little odd to choose a system boiler. Whilst they may be a little quicker to install they then use a maker's pump rather than any generic pump used with a heat only boiler which any DIYer can work on.

Tony

Seems a little odd to choose a system boiler. Whilst they may be a little quicker to install they then use a maker's pump rather than any generic pump used with a heat only boiler which any DIYer can work on.

Tony

That's odd cos I did contact Worcester Technical bods (via their website) asking for the direct replacement and they confirmed.

I deffo don't have a combi. We have a megaflow tank and hot water is pumped. All taps cold water taps are mains cold water.

The more I hear the less happy I am with BG heating engineer!

Tony
Tony, why are you making a mountain out of a molehill? If it's a classic it'll have no permanent live or pump live. System boiler you need less wires so no electrician needed. Presumably the system will be sealed now too so it'll have the inbuilt expansion vessel. Easy choice.

Neighbours have obviously had combi boilers fitted so it's apples and oranges. Just because it's a Worcester doesn't mean it's the same.

Tony
Tony, why are you making a mountain out of a molehill? If it's a classic it'll have no permanent live or pump live. System boiler you need less wires so no electrician needed. Presumably the system will be sealed now too so it'll have the inbuilt expansion vessel. Easy choice.

Neighbours have obviously had combi boilers fitted so it's apples and oranges. Just because it's a Worcester doesn't mean it's the same.

Yes we have expansion vessel (been a pain and gone 3 times already).

Neighbours had the Greenstar 30i System boilers fitted as direct replacements. BG quoted us for the same but 24i.

Tony

Yes we have expansion vessel (been a pain and gone 3 times already).

Neighbours had the Greenstar 30i System boilers fitted as direct replacements. BG quoted us for the same but 24i.
Misread the 30i part, as they will have found... A bigger boiler will work on 22mm as would yours with a 24i but it won't work as well as it would on 28mm. I'm not familiar with BG installation policy but perhaps they've changed since your neighbours were done and now they won't compromise on pipe size because of potential problems, even though it'll work fine in reality.

But we are digressing - it's the 22mm versus 28mm pipework that was my main query.

Sounds like nobody thinks BG should be replacing 22mm with 28mm between the Boiler and the upstairs Megaflow tank right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back