BG work

Standby(eve) and GA(on call) are worked into the shifts. Varies how its doled out patch to patch.

My old patch was worked at roughly 2 weeks of standby/GA shifts every 6 weeks or so. Not sure what current patch is as they forgot me when doing the winter rosters, shame that!

Sponsored Links
My tsm is asking our team for volunteers this weekend for both Saturday and Sunday breakdowns. I voluntered last saturday. Was a little miffed to be sent to a boiler which is already open by another engineer who was returning monday with flow switches and plate. My call was water leak
(as was his original call). Anyway I put a new section of pipe where the pinhole was.

Spoke to the engineer monday morning we both agreed it probably needs the parts he ordered.

Rang my tsm to make sure I will be paid. He thinks so. (who knows, nobody seems to coordinate anything. When you order parts for a job the parts people ask when you are going back they assure you they will tell dispatch. doesn't seem to happen, dispatch send you to a totaly different town. Anyway looks like a lotery exactly what I will be paid for at the moment as I seem unable to communicate with other contractors who have been there for longer to establish how bad the situation really is. Sort of puts you off volunteering for anything.

I did last saturday on breakdowns and got **** on. Shoved onto another patch and sent other peoples recalls all day so they can sod off, im going and doing radicals next time i work saturday.

Had a couple of phone calls and email in the past fortnight asking if i would start in my area as a contractor so there must be a fair bit of work they are behind on.
Personally knowing how the system works i would only do servicing for them and not get involved in breakdowns as this is a mine field in regards payment and what is an actual recall and not worth the hassle.
Oh they where offering £18 an appliance £7 a CO detector and £10 a central heating lead

Sponsored Links
£18 is low nam, i think our contractors are getting £22.

Yeah i did laugh nickso as my mate is on £22 has been as high as £25. And they will take back work and rearrange his day if he says too much mileage involved.
Have you heard anything about pulling up combis for having blow off angled/elbow back to the wall.

Yeah i did laugh nickso as my mate is on £22 has been as high as £25. And they will take back work and rearrange his day if he says too much mileage involved.
Have you heard anything about pulling up combis for having blow off angled/elbow back to the wall.

yeh, my understanding is if its not back to the wall and is in a place likely to cause injury if it did blow then its AR. as usual there was some abiguity regarding ones which were not in areas likely to cause injury, behind bushes or ground level etc. ive not AR'd anything yet but ive not really been looking TBH.

Cheers, yeah confirms what i thought but guy was saying even if it was back to wall they where to AR them which i thought he was wrong .

there is one locally which is backed to wall but directly above the front door :LOL: thats been AR'd from day one though.

Has there been a change to gas regs then to include this as blow off was always part of water regs . And gas regs of AR ID etc where not applicapible no matter how dangerous

Has there been a change to gas regs then to include this as blow off was always part of water regs . And gas regs of AR ID etc where not applicapible no matter how dangerous

i wasn't at the TT/DVD when this was spelled out so i don't know the full story. i would say no, probably some dozy customer was injured and BG have adopted it as their own policy, not a bad one if you think about it. the chances of injury are very slim but could be nasty in the right circumstances.

It's only AR if it terminates in a position that could pose a risk, over baths, straight out onto patios, over doors, where kids could be around etc. Turned back to the wall in a safe position is as perfect as you can get though.

Bg have written to 700 ex- engineers asking them to come back part time etc for winter and are going contractor mad for the run up to christmas.

Would be a nice little rest on around £200 a day if they kept to there promises but we as we know they don`t. Are yo lads working on the 2 jobs at a time idea.

i had a dodgy one today turn up for an asv customer says "glad your here as I said to them on the phone boiler is doing this..." So suddenly job is an IB. I ring for part and ask despatch to give me the job. "But Hull isn't your area" "well why did you send it to me today?" "We'll have to give it to a regular Hull guy".

So I get no pay I daignose the fault am quite happy to fix it.

Big company S haitch 1 t on the little guy syndrome.

So I ask dispatch "am I going to be paid for the asv" cagey sounding voice "I can't say"

So I ring tsm he assures me I will be paid.

But testimonies of two contractors tell me not to expect the money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back