BGMVSP-23 Mid Position Actuator faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into house last June and Central Heating/Water from Condensing Worcester Greenstar Boiler controlled by British Gas UP2 Programmer has worked fine. Hot Water Cylinder has a stat strapped to it, and is set to lowest option 50 degrees.

Recently the water has got VERY hot, even when Water is not selected, and only Central Heating is on. I have discovered that the British Gas Actuator BGMVSP-23 appears to have stopped working and the lever is in the mid position, which I think means both Water and Heating is selected. However, this doesn't really explain why the Hot Water is getting much hotter than before.

I have checked other postings on this site and think the Valve itself may be faulty, as I could not turn the spindle when I'd removed the actuator. I am handy enough with many tasks, and could replace the actuator, but would not know where to start if it is the actual Valve. Presume this involves draining down etc. What is typical cost to supply and fit this type of Valve?

Sponsored Links
The complete valve from around £75 (Screwfix) and I reckon a minimum of £75 to fit it. The labour depends on the time it takes to drain, fit, and refill and test. There may be added costs for lost inhibitor etc.

Thanks for your reply Pete. I'll give a local firm a call tomorrow. If it is the valve that is faulty, is the Actuator likely to be ok, or is that replaced as well?
Thanks

I'd replace the whole lot, but better still replace it with a Honeywell v4073, for better reliability. A bit more expensive , but worth it long term.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Pete. Is the Honeywell V4073 a direct replacement for the British Gas Actuator? Or is it a complete assembly eg Valve and actuator combined. Happy to pay more if the outcome is reliable/dependable.
Cheers

It will mean a complete replacement, ie body and actuator. Honeywell are the choice of the professionals on here. The pipe work will not have to altered, but the nuts and olives may have to be. Simple for a pro and everything is supplied with the new valve.

Thanks for your sound advice Pete. Been working away today, but will contact local companies this week, and ask for quotes ideally using Honeywell valve/actuator.

As a total novice I still don't understand why the water is getting scalding hot, but presume the cylinder stat is having no effect due to the valve having stuck in the mid position.

Thanks again, you've been a great help.
Regards
John

Update. Awaiting local company to visit, assess, and hopefully sort this Friday. Have just been into attic for unrelated reason and heard water tricking into the central heating top up tank. This normally has cold water in it, but was hot as toast. The water that was coming into it was I assume from the hot water storage cylinder, which is getting far hotter than it should, and cylinder stat having no effect. Can anyone confirm if this is likely to be what is happening.

No change since last posted in situation where we have hot water and heating at same time, whether we want this or not. Can't wait to get fixed as must be using far more gas than we need to.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back