Bi Fold door issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,
We had an extension built (what a joke the builders were! i had them in as i lacked some of the skills, ended up teaching them on the things i lacked but was out of pocket so had to keep them on the job!) we are now a year on and still snagging to be done. One of the issues is our BiFolds.

We have a Smart door fitted.

So the day they were fitted i complained that the opener was VERY stiff, the kids couldn't open or close it, the handle needed unreal force to move and the door wouldnt easily fit into the closed position. i was told it needed to wear in... a few weeks passed and it was the same, they came back and tinkered, no change, came back and toe and healed it, took OUT one of the seal strips and no change.

Summer time arrives and the door then wouldn't move due to expansion, it was stuck on the render! Scratched all the door. they came back and stood looking like muppets. One guy got his level out and said that it was fitted wrong, with a 600mm box level he said it was out about 5mm on the vertical and it needed to be re-fitted.

Excuse after excuse later i am told they are coming tomorrow to re-fit the door BUT i am now in a position i question everything, by re-fitting we will have to have the render re-done round the door, skimming on the reveals and a gap between the tiles and the threshold - do we actually think fitting them plumb will solve this issue?

NOTE - Even when the door is not in contact with the render it is very stiff to close and the handle takes an insane amount of power to lock and unlock, the key is also scratching the frame, maybe normal and that is an us issue?

5BB8D176-220D-44C5-A58D-6E620D453AA7.jpg

89d8f5d8-7c6d-4319-a4da-98cd34a1a880.jpg
ee965216-11ab-4b0c-84c6-0a50e5ab813b.jpg
IMG_6465.jpg
IMG_6473.jpg
IMG_6494.jpg
IMG_7054.jpg
IMG_8030.jpg
IMG_8027.jpg
IMG_8024.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hows the door locking mechanism when its actually open ? If the mechanism is smooth and not sticking then its alignment and adjustment , if its still sticking then its the locking mechanism at fault

Sponsored Links
What has the render to do with how the door opens? Have you tried getting the door rep out to have a look?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back