Bi-fold door recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We would like to install a bi-fold door from our kitchen to the garden and have been looking at aluminium framed doors. We have looked at various doors and have come down to

Beauforts - they look very solid with good hinges - but the bottom track seems very exposed

Easifold - these look good and more secure but not so strong

British Energy Door - also look good and secure, but not as strong and finished as the Beauforts

Has anyone had any experience with any of these and have a recommendation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

Never dealt with any of the firms you've mentioned but what I can say is that the Uvalue of aluminium frames is far less than that of PVC or Timber. i.e. you would notice a cold spot when near the frame.

I know its personal opinion but I would much rather have Timber (definately not uPVC, way to tacky!)

You can pick up Bi-fold timber door units from around £900+vat +£150-200 fitting (Im guessing a similar price to the aluminium?!) (Haworth windows & doors are a reputable firm)

Ive worked with (& lived with) both aluminium & timber galzed units in the past & much prefer timber they feel warmer, can be designed comtemporary, similar if not cheaper price, sustainable, etc, etc...

cheers

P.V.C tacky? doesn't rot or need painting you can sit in your garden drinking pimms while he's rubbing down and painting his frames.
Most d glazing firms now do folding doors although I prefer french doors with side lights.How big a hole do you need. Ring around local firms and see who does them then get them to give you quotes these cost nothing.

Sponsored Links
Kitchen to the garden - sounds as though they will be in constant use. Best use ordinary hinged door(s). Bi-fold are OK for occasional use but could be a pain for daily use. - Just a thought

We had some in our old house in Bedfordshire 10 years ago (before they became trendy).

Looked nice, pain in the arse to keep them opening smoothly. Rarely opened the whole thing, usually just enough to go in and out. They were wooden framed though, and a cold trap at one end of the room.

Thanks for all your replies.

I understand what you mean about aluminium being cold, but the frame is very minimal which is why we are going for al rather than wood.

Also, it has a single opening door that can then be part of the 3 leaves folding back. Recently we read an architect said you should just have a glass wall and a separate door as we don't often open the doors in this country, but we are hoping to make the most of it and really want to step out into our view rather than go round the narrow side alley.

We went with Easifold in the end. Fingers crossed they are good.

Thanks

hi Mark,
we are also looking at easifold for our new extension.
are they installed yet - whats the final verdict ?
also curious about integral blinds if you have those too ?

thanks,
Nick

I spent two days visiting and looking at bi-fold door before going with UK-Bifold. The prices and quality very quite a bit and so IMHO you need to go and have a look at the product and also if possible the fabrication facilities.

I looked at six companies in all, most near the M62, three were rubbish and my shortlist was:

UK-Bifold [think they have a place down south too].
Solarlux
Express Bi-Folding Doors [again think they have a place down south]

Solarlux is a German company, the most expensive of the six, long lead times. Being German I was expecting good quality and they were, but the other two were on par, had better lead times and were at a better price.

So far UK-Bifold have surpassed my expectations, on paper they were the best priced and so I almost did not visit them after rejecting the three other companies on quality. Their no frills showroom near Manchester is in a corner of their factory, it was evident that they were busy from the work going on around, and the constant stream of tradesmen bringing clients through. The total U value is good and I had warm edges fitted which gives a further small but welcome improvement.

The doors were supplied ahead of schedule, before I could inspect the fitted doors their installer had done his own quality check and pointed out to me a small scratch on the cill, he had already ordered a replacement and wanted to know when he could come back.

I spent two days visiting and looking at bi-fold door before going with UK-Bifold. The prices and quality very quite a bit and so IMHO you need to go and have a look at the product and also if possible the fabrication facilities.

I looked at six companies in all, most near the M62, three were rubbish and my shortlist was:

UK-Bifold [think they have a place down south too].
Solarlux
Express Bi-Folding Doors [again think they have a place down south]

Solarlux is a German company, the most expensive of the six, long lead times. Being German I was expecting good quality and they were, but the other two were on par, had better lead times and were at a better price.

So far UK-Bifold have surpassed my expectations, on paper they were the best priced and so I almost did not visit them after rejecting the three other companies on quality. Their no frills showroom near Manchester is in a corner of their factory, it was evident that they were busy from the work going on around, and the constant stream of tradesmen bringing clients through. The total U value is good and I had warm edges fitted which gives a further small but welcome improvement.

The doors were supplied ahead of schedule, before I could inspect the fitted doors their installer had done his own quality check and pointed out to me a small scratch on the cill, he had already ordered a replacement and wanted to know when he could come back.

I had mine done two years ago with Slide and Fold. They are meant to be part of WeatherShield and on paper they looked good and cheap. So id one everything on the internet. quite easy. I had mine with integrated blinds and since they installed it two years ago i had untold problems with the doors and blinds. Even now i am still waiting for them to comeback and resolve the issues. They do come and rectify issues at their convinience which may take from three to four months. Their terms and conditin says they will rectify all the issues within fourteen days. Not really happy. jon1uk you are lucy you got yours done without a hitch. I dont recomend Slide and Fold.

my slide and fold is not shutting properly. it is where we just open one section to act as a normal door. it is not locking on the the grab points in the middle of the door. it locks top and bottom, just not the mid point ones.

you can get a finger behind the seal it is so bad.

i realise now sliding doors are pretty problematic.

whatever you do about choosing bifolding or any kind of aluminium window or patio door---

Do not get near Express bifolding doors company. They took my deposit on the 16th Dec 2010 with the understanding that two windows and a patio door with integrated blinds where going to be fitted ASAP.
I ended up in January chasing them to get the survey done.
I also had to chase them to get the installation done. They told me that they could not do it earlier because they were waiting for the fitted blinds.

they said to me that they were going to install on Monday 14th Feb at 9:00 am. They did not arrive until 12:00, they did not finish the job and they did not bring the blinds because they forgot to order them, despite the fact that Nick George, Sales Manager, sent me an email on the 26th January 2011 confirming that everythig was all been run and they were waiting for the blinds to arrive.

The installer left at 18:45 that day and left all the packaging and everything behind for me to tidy up.

I had to chase the company to see when they were going to come to finish up the job. They turned up without letting me know. I almost know all the names of the people working in this company, i have been talking to Alex, Gary, Michelle and even Tony another sales person. Nobody seemed to know what was happening with my order.

If you are looking for a professional service where everything is going to be done as you agreed and expected, i would advise you not to use Express bi-folding doors. Too much advertising without professional people behind to back it up. I have been dealing with lots of suppliers for my current renovation and this is the only company that has shown this type of unprofessional service. I thought that because they were recomended so heavily by the homeshow and grand designs, they were going to provide a good service but it has been quite the opposive.

I hope this help someone to avoid lots of stress and dissapointment in the future.

Does anyone have personal experiences with the bifold doors (quality, services etc) from bifoldshop.co.uk, sunseekerdoors.co.uk, and, lifestylefoldingdoors.co.uk? I've received quotations from them (all around 3K +/-) but unsure of their quality, service records. Any experiences, advice will be greatly appreciated.
Also, can anyone recommend a reputable structural engineer for preparing report for building controls? What would be the expected cost of one?
Thanks.

I want to build my own sun room - and have been looking at doors, design, etc. Son and I are more than capable.

Wife thought she would get a quote for a sun room that would be 'Architecture in Glass' just so I could compare. Chap came out all very good, wife began to feel slightly un-easy e.g. will get you a really good deal known boss for years, etc. Company actually advertised on Gov. Portal when we were looking at planning, etc. It looks very professional, awards, etc. Anyway she did a few more Googles and found we probably had a narrow escape or at least too scared to go any further than initial measure up in prep for quote.

So wife and I still feeling sick to think we could have lost so much money or been in long line of creditors. So now recovering?? from nearly being ripped off and now back to DIY.

Anyone else built their own and have any tips, etc.?
Also any more feedback on doors already purchased? Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up on express. I was taken in with their glossy sales pitch and was about to place an order with them for two sets of doors. I will look further afield

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back