Bi-Fold Doors - good companies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found out that due to the width of our new extension we are looking for aluminium bi-fold doors.

Apparently PVC is not good and wooden doors aren't good for wider spaces.

Does anyone have any good experiences with any companies + value for money - my budget is running out!!

Sponsored Links
I'd agree that plastic doors are not good ... in any circumstance :rolleyes: .... but why do you think that timber doors are not suitable for wide openings?

I have had this dilemma....
I am going for UPVC now.

The ally ones are strong, but they look poor with all the seal strips and i can not find any that i can get in less than 6 weeks. They will also be colder as the ally is a much better thermal conductor and significantly more expensive.

The UPVC ones i have looked at seem solid, look the business, match my other glazing, are a lot cheaper than ally, and i can get them in 2 weeks. I can also get them made locally so if there are any issues i can get them around...They are also steel reinforced, just not in the corners.

No contest.
I'm also not convinced that plastic doors are all that bad - in all circumstances.

How wide is your opening? Mine is only 2.4m so i am going with a 3 door system opening out wards.

I would definatley go for UPVC too, helluvvalot cheaper and you can get some really nice ones too.

Aluminium will cost you a fortune and they are overrated IMO.

Good Luck!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Just had mine fitted. Been talking to some suppliers as well who all claimed the ally ones are better. When pushed as to why, most of them agreed that it is down to the UPVC ones being installed incorrectly that gives them a bad name. Ally ones are more ridgid, so more tolerant of poor installation, but when upvc are installed correctly they are equally as good for a fraction of the cost.
We are well chuffed with ours.
Due to an extension, my doors are now 2m wide and open in.
I'll post a pic when i get a mo.

we have just looked at Spazio based in tenterden in kent as we need a folding door to fit a tight opening
was very impressed with the owner's wife who was very polite and helpful when we dropped in the other week
they aregoing to be making a rigid PVC door for us (when i send the dimensions to them)

hi Huw,
who did you get your bifold doors from that supply the hampshire area ?

thanks,
Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back