Cutting Bi-Fold Door?

Sponsored Links
you need to read the instillation instructions to find out but 10mm should be ok assuming you mean top and bottom
and if you have an extraction fan in the bathroom you should have a 12mm gap under the door to allow air flow with the fan running

the answer will be anywhere between 5mm to 12mm as recommended in the installation instructions
you will get away with a few mm more but only 1 or 2

Sponsored Links
I think like a lot of us, I'm confused, If, as you say, the existing door measures 730 wide and the bifolds you have linked to are 674 wide = 56 mm narrower then it's not the door sides that need shaving of but the existing door posts that need ding to?? ...pinenot :)

I think like a lot of us, I'm confused, If, as you say, the existing door measures 730 wide and the bifolds you have linked to are 674 wide = 56 mm narrower then it's not the door sides that need shaving of but the existing door posts that need adding to?? ...pinenot :)

Think he is looking at cutting down the 730mm doors [also in link].
You can normally take off 5mm each side of the door [20mm in total] but you would need to check with supplier.

Think he is looking at cutting down the 730mm doors [also in link].
You can normally take off 5mm each side of the door [20mm in total] but you would need to check with supplier.

Well in that case there's a lot more to it than what's been discussed so far, unless it's a door blank that's being used, cause there would be no supporting timber in the middle of a hollow core door. That said it's do-able, I know cause I've had to do it in the past, perhaps the OP can shed a little light here?? ...pinenot :)

It does seem a bit too much to take off generally you can take off 6mm each side and at a pinch 9mm before you go through the lipping piece and into the frame piece which is generally 25mm presuming it's a hollow core door. If it's a pine door can take off the same before going through the lip and exposing the laminated timber which is used to make up the stiles and is full width and making it ok to take off more then just give the edges a paint. I'm guessing the bi fold door is into a bathroom so is very tight and a full size door won't open in the way. What about getting a 686 x 1981 door then instead of opening in the way open our the way. It's just a case of taking off the steps and facings and changing to the opposite sides as an alternative

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back