bi-fold windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anybody help with plans/links for Vertical bi-fold windows as opposed to horizontal opening windows?
They would consist of a sash hinged over another sash that when pulled up would form an awning.
Any help would put me out of my misery of endless net searches!

Sponsored Links
The problem may be the weight of the windows/glass. You would need some kind of lifting mechanism to aid opening the windows and then keeping them up and not crashing down on your head!
Have you tried plastic window firms as they sometimes have weird hinges - although I would always fit wood myself. Also try a search for hinges/hardware as there may be some firms producing this kind of thing or perhaps a horizontal bifold hinge set could be adapted. I will ask my brother who is a joiner if he knows of any products around and get back to you.

Thanks Ant,
The windows i will be making are wood.I have made a mockup window which works fine aprox 1m x 1m, the finished product will be 2.5m x 1.3 m and will have 5 segmented glazed areas of 4 mm toughened safety glass.The main problem as you said will be weight.I may have to fit a friction hinge of sorts coupled with maybe a sash pulley and weights, but i dont want to go down this road.
All the upvc window hinges i have looked at , when opened leave a gap at the top of the sash for easy cleaning of the window.
If anybody can help any further please feel free!

Sponsored Links
Just a thought, but have you looked at the Velux range? Although they will probably not be a suitable window available you may find they produce a similar opening mechanism to the one you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back