Biasi 24s 47 970 06 leaking water which looks like the actuator... but how and what next???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak in my biasi 24s diverter valve, more specifically it is coming from the actuator at the bottom where both parts of the actuator meet. Its a slow leak which reduces the water pressure but does not effect the hot water and central heating operation. I have taken the actuator out and taken it apart, there seems to have been water inside. The diaphragm was fine apart from a bit of warping (so it was not flat against the casing) no leaks. The casing had pitted with green substance so cleaned and scraped it away. Placed back on the boiler and it still leaks (possibly not as much though). Any advise as to whether I would only need a diaphragm or full Diverter repair kit? I have attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20160326_181332.jpg
    IMG_20160326_181332.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20160326_181320.jpg
    IMG_20160326_181320.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_20160326_181221.jpg
    IMG_20160326_181221.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_20160326_181212.jpg
    IMG_20160326_181212.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20160326_181221.jpg
    IMG_20160326_181221.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 257
Sponsored Links
No suggestions as to whether I'm going along the right track regarding the leak?

If the boiler pressure is falling then the leaking part is the brass gland unit screwed into the body of the diverter and has the two nut screws on it.

If the boiler pressure is not falling then its the gland on the hydraulic differential unit. That has a tiny "O" ring which is replaceable.

Tony Glazier

Thanks for the reply the boiler is losing pressure and since I took the actuator apart and put it back it seems to be leaking slower now, you mention the two but screws on the brass gland of the diverter. Is this the one on the middle of the actuator opposite side of where the actuator meets the rest of the diverter? Also when I took the actuator apart is it normal for the diaphragm not to move freely (does not come out of the casing)?

Sponsored Links
There is only one part with two square headed screws.

The HW diaphragm will often have become somewhat stuck in the casing. That does not have any effect on its operation.

Tony

Apologies, just looked at the actuator again and see that the nut in the middle of the actuator is on the side where the actuator meets the rest of the diverter.

I had replaced the seals and grub screw on the actuator, however it seems it is still leaking slightly from the main diverter unit onto the actuator. Should I invest in a new diverter or should a service kit usually sort these types of leaks out.

Apologies, reread last post and seems I will need that nut with the two scews that hold the actuator into the main unit. Cheers, ordered now.

your boiler does not have an actuator as you keep calling it, you have a DHW diaphragm housing, an actuator is an electrically operated motor

Thanks, just going by what the manual says. Good to know the difference.

Thanks, just going by what the manual says. Good to know the difference.
Your boiler can come with an actuator but you have a Diaphragm operated diverter valve, have to say its unusual to see them leaking where yours is leaking, when you put it back together did you toque the screws up gently and in order like you would do when changing a car wheel ? Im not saying use a torque wrench or anything just dont just ram them up one after another that could be the cause of the leak.

All torqued in order to avoid any buckling. The leak may have come from the main unit where it goes into the diverter and then drizzled down the diverter valve diaphragm casing, giving it the appearance of a leak from there. I am going to get the nut recommended above to see if that cures the leak completely.

I have to say that I change at least one of those a month on Biasi 24S boilers.

Tony

Update: replaced the bolt with the two screws in it as Tony advised and the system seems to have stopped leaking, thanks for the help. After repressurising the system to 1bar and bleeding the system through the radiators when the heating is on high about 60 or more degrees the pressure seems to go up to around 2 bar. System goes back to 1 bar when cool. Does this seem a bit excessive and should I look at recharging the expansion vessel if so?

You can also thank me on the site by clicking the "thanks" button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back