Biasi advance plus 35c combi boiler running hot then cold problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler was installed 12 months (0ct 2014) ago and since installation has been nothing but problem after problem. Inspite of having a 5 year warranty I'm now on the verge of having it ripped out and replaced with a new boiler. I have the c/h set at full 85c and water now set at 50c and pressure read 1.3bar. I just ran a bath to find the water was just warm and in looking at the boiler can see the water temp rising to 41c then down to 35c. I've had 4 visits by repairers to try and sort this problem out with no joy. They did replace the safety valve (twice) and auto air vent (twice) and a faulty expansion vessel and then a thermistor. What might be causing the problem? The boiler also needs repressurising about every 2 weeks although we have replaced radiators with a little corrosion on the bleed valves we can't find anywhere else that might be leaking at all. Any advice appreciated before I take drastic steps.

Sponsored Links
If you keep losing water, I'm guessing you have to keep filling the rads up again.

After a year of refreshed water (rich in oxygen, minerals etc) through the system - the whole system, but especially the boiler, will be suffering from debris. Hot water Plate heat exchanger particularly.

Moral of the story is, fix any leaking water from the radiator circuit asap, don't leave it, or your cheap boiler (or an expensive one for that matter) will be toast.

Did you have the system powerflushed when the Biasi was fitted? If the answer is no, (and you'd know, it would take 2-3hrs on a modest system) I rest my case.

Sadly, most boiler installers of base cost boilers don't do Powerflushes. Takes time, equipment costs money. Very very competitive market, and adding a proper preparation takes the job out of the budget area.

Sludge filled combis are therefore commonplace.

All combi's are hopeless for filling baths
Try turning the tap on slower leave for about 20mins or until you have enough hot water then add cold

Sponsored Links
Are all these boiler repair gusy from Biasi?
None of those repairers work for Biasi, none seem to have had any previous experience or specific training on Biasi boilers. I think Biasi just look for the nearest installer available to where I live.

If you keep losing water, I'm guessing you have to keep filling the rads up again.

After a year of refreshed water (rich in oxygen, minerals etc) through the system - the whole system, but especially the boiler, will be suffering from debris. Hot water Plate heat exchanger particularly.

Moral of the story is, fix any leaking water from the radiator circuit asap, don't leave it, or your cheap boiler (or an expensive one for that matter) will be toast.

Did you have the system powerflushed when the Biasi was fitted? If the answer is no, (and you'd know, it would take 2-3hrs on a modest system) I rest my case.

Sadly, most boiler installers of base cost boilers don't do Powerflushes. Takes time, equipment costs money. Very very competitive market, and adding a proper preparation takes the job out of the budget area.

Sludge filled combis are therefore commonplace.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have to go around the rads bleeding them, just the one nearest the boiler and then only a tad of air leaves it. On 2 ocassions the fitter found leaking water inside the boiler case. On installation Fernox was added but I'll need to ask about the power flush. When chosing the boiler Biasi were the only one to put faith into their boiler with a 5 year parts/labour warranty, it's the reason I chose them, not the price.

All combi's are hopeless for filling baths
Try turning the tap on slower leave for about 20mins or until you have enough hot water then add cold
The last 2 houses we had both had combis and our showers provided constant hot water at a steady 42c and no problem filling a bath, I presumed they were all as reliable at doing what they're supposed to do. Thanks for the reply.

Do the radiators get warm while you're filling the bath (with CH off but radiator values on)?

Is the boiler alight continuously while you're filling the bath, or does it cycle on and off?

Do the radiators get warm while you're filling the bath (with CH off but radiator values on)?

Is the boiler alight continuously while you're filling the bath, or does it cycle on and off?
The boiler is not alight all the time i'm filling a bath. I normally have tap temp set at 42c and the boiler went up to 41c then shut off and went down to 34c/35c then kicked back in again so I set the tap temp to 50c but exactly the same, up to 41c then down to 34c/35c and all I got was a luke warm bath. The rads don't get warm when only running hot water. Thanks for your input.

I suppose the boiler was fitted well within one day? And for less than £700 ? Was the Benchmark certificate in the back of the service manual filled in?

Sounds as if they did no cleaning at all and with a leak constantly being topped up then dirt is in the system and has blocked the plate heat exchanger.

All these problems are as a result of careless installers whom were probably the cheapest on the block.

There are many better boilers with at least 5 years of warranty. Intergas, Vaillant, Viessmann and Worcester to name a few.

But no warranty covers dirt in the system. That's a result of a cheap installer.

Tony

I suppose the boiler was fitted well within one day? And for less than £700 ? Was the Benchmark certificate in the back of the service manual filled in?

Sounds as if they did no cleaning at all and with a leak constantly being topped up then dirt is in the system and has blocked the plate heat exchanger.

All these problems are as a result of careless installers whom were probably the cheapest on the block.

There are many better boilers with at least 5 years of warranty. Intergas, Vaillant, Viessmann and Worcester to name a few.

But no warranty covers dirt in the system. That's a result of a cheap installer.

Tony
Tony, I would have expected a good pair of fitters to install a boiler well under a day, that doesn't make them careless installers, it does mean they are not fitters with their heads so far up their own backsides that they think they can charge £700 for a days work replacing a boiler. You assume too much.

Power flushing alone can easily take five hours.

It certainly sounds as if you did not pay very much and as usually happens in those cases, had an installation where they did not properly clean the system. Nor does it sound as if the installer came back to sort out the problems that he left under his guaranty.

I normally charge £840 to replace a combi but that does cover properly cleaning the system and giving a proper guaranty on the work.

It is a pity that you don't appreciate it when we try to help you!

Tony

I've had 4 visits by repairers to try and sort this problem out with no joy. They did replace the safety valve (twice) and auto air vent (twice) and a faulty expansion vessel and then a thermistor.

That hardly sounds like a competent boiler engineer's work.

I have probably repaired about 2000 Biasi boilers but do expect to charge an appropriate amount though and to correctly diagnose and repair the faults. Going to another this afternoon!

Tony

Hi guys, Hope someone can help, I have a biasi advance plus 35c that I just replaced the pcb on. Unfortunately the boiler won't restart and I have the error code ER99, any ideas please ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back