Biasi boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please forgive a newbie if this question offends. I am just moving into my first home, and need to install CH. I am on a very tight budget, and the plumber I asked for a quote is suggesting a Biasi Combi boiler.

I noticed reading on here a number of generally derogatory comments about Biasi boilers and "Italian heat exchangers" with folks seeming to prefer Baxi, or Vaillant boilers.

I don't want to waste my money by cutting corners on a boiler thats going to conk out, but at the same time affording one of the makes praised on here would be a struggle and would mean sacrifices elsewhere.

So my question is whether anyone could explain to me what the shortcomings of the Biasi are. To put things another way, if I cant really afford a "Mercedes of a boiler" (Baxi Vaillant etc), and I did get the Biasi, would I be getting a Vauxhall or a Lada ?

I tried asking the plumber who quoted about this and he just said a bit vaguely that "you get what you pay for" - true, but not the sort of comment that helps me to make up my mind.

Many thanks in advance for your patience and any insights you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately Biasi suffer from bad press because as they are cheap they are often fitted by 'cheap' installers who cut corners on the quality of their installations.

I only fir Vaillants to full spec, but no doubt if I fitted Biasi I would hope that they would last as well as my Vaillants.

A cheap boiler fitted by a good installer will outlast a good boiler fitted by a 'cowboy'

From your installers comments that you have posted I would suggest you find a better installer ;)

I dont see that your potential installer has said anything wrong.

He may just not be well enough educated to make any more useful comment.

The Biasi is about the best of the more economic boilers.

Now which is the best car between Ford, Vauxhall or Fiat?

Tony

I wouldn't have any qualms about fitting Biasi. Not second class in any way, some more expensive boilers are worse, some cheap boilers are diabolical.

In my area Biasis are holding out extrememly well in terms of reliability as I fix them and hardly ever get a call.

When I do get a call I have to take my unsafe situations pad with me as they are wholesale fitted by the ignorant. That isn't Biasis fault. Blaim there lies fair and square with b and q who should be fined for selling everything you need to be a gas fitter or electrician completely flouting the supposed direction the government is leading these trades. Which suggets either the governments real interests are not those on the face of it. Looser in all this? Tradesman.

When there is a fult on a Biasi it is 90% bad installation workmanship, which would affect even the cosseted Vaillant. If b and q sold Vaillants that would finish there reputation.

Sponsored Links
Just done a job for a regular customer with a 5 year old biasi who needed a fan 2 years ago which I think was about 150 for the part, a diverter at 120 last year and a board this week.
Great boilers for plumbers, less so for the householder.
As for baxi, some models, (maybe all?) are made in italy as well. Unless they make them here, ship them to Italy for testing, and then back here to sell them. at least that is my deduction from finding test result sheets in Italian in baxis and pottertons.

I find Biasis surprisingly reliable for a cheap combi, if properly installed. Of course the build quality isn't what you'd get on a higher end boiler but in functional terms there's not a lot of difference.

Like Paul I also fix biasi as an agent. If I was going to fit one I would get the B rated one as they are more reliable then the A-rated one.

Biasi use a stainless steel condensing/second heat exchanger for there b rated boilers so no worries with aluminum rot

But it is not my job to defend biasi, there rep is what they made for them self's aiming for the lower end of the market. Biasi boilers will be fitted cheaply and are sold to cheap/tight/poor/diyer. Biasi made there bed now they can sleep in it.

I like heat-line much much more then biasi,

Just done a job for a regular customer with a 5 year old biasi who needed a fan 2 years ago which I think was about 150 for the part, a diverter at 120 last year and a board this week.
Great boilers for plumbers, less so for the householder.
As for baxi, some models, (maybe all?) are made in italy as well. Unless they make them here, ship them to Italy for testing, and then back here to sell them. at least that is my deduction from finding test result sheets in Italian in baxis and pottertons.

The fan would not usually fail unless it was an early M90 or a 28S with no flue restricter.

The diverter valve only normally needs a diaphragm repair kit.

A few ignition PCBs have failed on the M90-M96s.

The baxi/pottertons are mostly made in Italy.

The Heatline are using good components but seem to suffer even worse than Biasi with the non registered installers.

Tony

I noticed reading on here a number of generally derogatory comments about Biasi boilers and "Italian heat exchangers" with folks seeming to prefer Baxi, or Vaillant boilers.

Baxi and Vaillant both use 'Italian heat exchangers' as well as many other components.

[quote="Agile";p="751695"

The fan would not usually fail unless it was an early M90 or a 28S with no flue restricter.

28S in this case

The diverter valve only normally needs a diaphragm repair kit.

still need to get the kit, and put it in

A few ignition PCBs have failed on the M90-M96s.

this was 28S though

The baxi/pottertons are mostly made in Italy.

are they not budget boilers?

The Heatline are using good components but seem to suffer even worse than Biasi with the non registered installers.

don't get me started on heatline, it seems you must be a cowboy to be allowed to buy one

I may not always agree with your opinions, but I must agree on your facts.

One day I will catch you though

:LOL:

/quote]

Many thanks to all of you who took the time answer. Much appreciated. I take from this that I should be looking more at the plumber than the Biasi! I'll try and seek out some of his previous customers, and if they're happy then tell him to get on with it.

Once again thank you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back