Biasi Garda combi boiler - no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Biasi GARDA HE MK2 M96A.28SM/B combi boiler.

Back in December 2012 it developed a fault where it would only produce hot water for a short time, with the flame going on and off and never staying on, although central heating worked. I called a British Gas engineer, who said it was the heat exchanger that needed replacing. After this was replaced, he recommended that we should have the central heating system flushed. So we did that too.

Everything was running fine until a few days ago... again I get no hot water.

When I turn the hot water tap on, the flame comes on in the boiler for a few seconds, then cuts out. The operation lights on the front panel show a red flashing light at the "II" position. The manual shows that this is "Other faults".

One time it did show a different fault, which the manual shows as "Faulty primary circuit (absense of flow)".

Is there anything I can do before calling in an engineer again?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately its unlikely that you will be able to do anything yourself.

Hopefully you have about 1.5 bar pressure in the boiler?

A good independent familiar with Biasi will be better and cheaper than Brit Gas.

Tony

Yes, the pressure is about 1.5.

Is there a common cause for why this fault develops?

I'd just like to understand why, so that I can prevent it happening again in future.

Its not at all clear what the problem(s) are with your boiler.

Unlikely anything you can do will prevent boiler faults apart from regularly getting it serviced properly.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I called an independent to come and have a look at the boiler. He said that the main heat exchanger would need replacing, as the boiler is overheating.

He said it would cost around £600 to fix it, but recommended we get a new boiler instead.

He also said that we should get another power flush done to the system. The price he quoted for the new boiler (recommended a potterton boiler) plus the powerflush would be around £2700! :(

Does this all sound right to you?

I haven't decided on anything yet.

I am virtually certain the main heat exchanger is not the problem.

His quote for a new boiler is about £1000 too high!

Tony

I am virtually certain the main heat exchanger is not the problem.

His quote for a new boiler is about £1000 too high!

Tony

How can you possibly say that Tony ? you havent seen the job the installer has ! you havent got a clue what is involved, all you do by saying stuff like that on an open forum is give the public the idea that a combi swap is £1700 when as you know they are all different, I agree I doubt it is the heat exchanger and I also agree that if the system needs flushed again the OP should get the origionall company back but you cant comment on the price of a job you know nothing about

If the Biasi works there and has a correct gas supply then any other boiler can be fitted for about that cost.

The cheapo boys will fit for far less. There are some on Ebay who quote £300 for fitting boilers. There is a gas reg fellow in Watford who fitted one in London for £300.

In fact that boiler is probably a direct swop for an M269 which I could do in 1/2 day!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back