Biasi repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a biasi riva compact m90e.28s - it keeps cutting out then re-igniting.

I've had someone look at it and when tested he got erratic results from the htg/hw thermistor. Also the pressure keeps dropping - he filled it up to around 3 bar whereby water started coming out of a pipe out the back. So he thinks the system doesn't have a pipe leak but the expansion vessel needs pumping up.

So to replace the thermistors, pump vessel & service it comes to about £270.

When we moved in about 3 years ago the pipes/radiators were completely replaced - we didn't replace the boiler at that time.

This plumber and a couple of other have quoted for flush/replacement boilers at around £2,400, for WB37cdi or Valiant comparable model. British Gas also quoted about the same for a BG badged Worcester, although he wasn't entirely clear/honest about which model this actually was.

I guess the question is whether it's worth fixing this boiler at this time or whether it's probable the above will fix it & if it's likely it's the start of more repair bills for the Biasi.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the person you had looking at the boiler does not really know whats wrong and that he has quoted a very high price to repair it.

Is this a situation where you have called him and he has not charged you for a diagnosis but has just given you a price to repair?

For those who dont know, that rarely works!

We always charge to diagnose a fault. Anyone who correctly diagnoses a fault without charging is going to have to quote a high price to repair as most people would either DIY repair or find someone cheaper once told whats wrong.

Its always cheaper to repair than replace. Those are fairly reliable boilers.

Tony

We were charged for that diagnosis, £78 & there was no dismantling of anything, just temp & electric probes used on the workings.

Pumping up the expansion vessel takes about 5 minutes if its not failed!

We charge £18 each to supply and fit sensors ( after the diagnostic fee ).

So what are the diagnosed faults on your boiler?

Tony

Sponsored Links
The faults diagnosed were the htg/hw thermistor giving erratic results & low water or not maintaining water pressure.

The symptoms I'm seeing are the boiler shutting down & re-igniting under hw, can't be certain what it's doing just under heating load, but I have noticed it cutting out when the heating demand light from the rf room thermometer is still active.

It's £161 to replace sensors and pump expansion vessel & £65 for a service. Excl vat.
Obviously at that point if the expansion vessel is failed, I'm already £350 committed before deciding whether to continue repairing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back