Big (and ongoing) puzzle: Damp or leak?

You should have said that. Most people use builders as a free surveyor - you obviously aren't one of them. Hope you get it sorted.

Sponsored Links
Hi

. We have discovered that we get a small amount of damp in this corner sometimes when it hasnt been raining; it is simply worst when it does rain.

I think that the issue may well be condensation. We live in a very old house with no ventilation, so I have various questions:

1) Do people agree that it might be condensation?

4) What worries me is that there is obviously a condensation problem in the attic as well as the house. What would sort this out?

Thanks a lot - any help is MASSIVELY appreciated
Old house - no fireplaces , or have they been blocked off ? Full central heating system ? do you try and economise by shutting rooms ? Condensation in the attic ? Are there water tanks up there , uncovered ? Is the house detached ? Also where in London ;)

[/quote] Old house - no fireplaces , or have they been blocked off ? Full central heating system ? do you try and economise by shutting rooms ? Condensation in the attic ? Are there water tanks up there , uncovered ? Is the house detached ? Also where in London ;)[/quote]

Hi there
the fire places have been blocked off
We have full central heating but dont make any effort to close or open doors. The windows are generally shut

There was bad condensation in the attic which was made better by installing vents. It still feels damp up there and there is massive wetness in the bottom corners which i think may be condensation and what is causing the problem

There are no water tanks up in the loft.

It is an old victorian house which has been split into 4 1 bed flats. We are the top right hand corner

We are near Bow

Thanks for the help

Tom

Sponsored Links
Find a local chartered surveyor with experience of damp and condensation issues. Ask them to take a look and give a brief report of what they suspect and what course of action they recommend. Try the RICS 'find a surveyor' site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back