Big bathroom spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - hope someone can help. In my bathroom I have big brass spotlights which I suspect are not specially for bathrooms because they have corroded. They are inset into the ceiling and the cut-out is 130mm. I can't seem to find bathroom lights with this diameter. Is there any way of filling in the holes to take lights with smaller cut-outs? At the moment I am thinking of lights which will sit over the holes rather than in them or of replacing or putting in a false ceiling - all of which make my partner blanch and tremble!

Sponsored Links
I would say get some plasterboard the same thickness as what is up there (you may have to take one lamp out and measure it and cut out a ring that will sit in the hole and has a hole in the middle for your light.
Take two small battens of wood and lay them inside the opening, They should cross over the gap but be off centre so you don't interfere with the new lights. you now need to screw up through the plasterboard into the wood to secure them in place, the screws should be tight enough so tht the heads are just lower than flush with the surface but not too far that they rip the paper of the existing board.
Now put your ring in the hole and screw it to the batton in the same way, be careful though that the upward force you exert does not pull the screws through the original board.
Once fixed the new board will be slightly recessed as your ceiling will have been skimmed so you'll have to use filler or plaster to bring it out level. and fill over screw heads

If you have access from above then you can no doubt modify this method to make it a bit easier.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back