Big BBQ shelter - am I doing it right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building what you may call a BBQ shelter - it's 3mx2.6m and is essentially a roof held up by 4 poles.
I want to check with someone if I'm doing it right, will it stand up to storm and snow?

It has a mono-pitched roof with 10 degree slope running from 2m up to 2.5 meters. I'd like a greater slope, but can't within UK permitted development and I need to be able to stand up under it.
Picture attached showing what I'm planning to do.

Any advice or gotchas I need to be aware of?
There will be a roof on top that I didn't draw on the below picture - probably ply and felt.

Roof design.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looking at this picture after posting it - would angled braces where the poles meet the beams allow the beams to go down to 50x150mm?

Defiantly add some bracing, either timber or metal strapping, it adds a lot of strength.

If you put the posts deeper in the ground it makes it a lot stronger - probably doesn't actually need it though

I've built bigger structures using smaller sized timber, and they're still standing. Currently almost finished a patio/bbq roof which is 8.5m x 3m.

I like using metal roofing (galvanized corrugated or plastic coated box profile), it's easy to work with, light, and lasts a lifetime.
You can add rooflights too.

Thanks, that's reassuring.

I hadn't really considered options for the roof...
I like using metal roofing (galvanized corrugated or plastic coated box profile), it's easy to work with, light, and lasts a lifetime.
You can add rooflights too.

This sounds like it would be easier than felt. Can you recommend a supplier?

I tried looking it up, I can see some options. Would like it to have edging strips because the edge profile looks very industrial. Interested in any options?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back