Big cracks in basement, cracks upstairs too

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time buyer here went to see a house that needs a lot of renovation. There seems to be a crack coming from water damage in the basement corner and theres also a crack upstairs. I will be getting a survey done, but beforehand can anyone tell me if this is serious and how much I'd be looking at to have it remedied?
IMG_20211219_150656.jpg
IMG_20211219_150820.jpg
IMG_20211219_150812.jpg
wm_large.jpg

Sponsored Links
Building techniques and materials are quite different here.

I have a feeling you have a concrete or block basement and a timber framed upper house, with dry lining.

Sponsored Links
I don't think we will be much help help being in the UK

But in general terms, cracking is either caused by foundation movement or structural movement of the frame. That crack up upstairs may be roof spread pushing the wall out, or lack of bracing of the frame holding it to the roof. Your surveyor should be able to identify the cause.

I don't think we will be much help help being in the UK

But in general terms, cracking is either caused by foundation movement or structural movement of the frame. That crack up upstairs may be roof spread pushing the wall out, or lack of bracing of the frame holding it to the roof. Your surveyor should be able to identify the cause.
Thanks. Got some more pics if it's any help. Was told water seeped through during a wet year

IMG_20211220_180632.jpg
IMG_20211220_180630.jpg
IMG_20211220_180558.jpg

I see the basement walls are quite badly cracked, and I think there is a watermark where it has been flooded.

I wouldn't expect reinforced concrete to do that and it looks structural to me

Look for another house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back