Cracks in Bay window wall

tim00 you have got me REALLY worried again know just when my fears had been allayed.

Looking at the front of the property there are no apparant problems. All windows (double glazed ) open ok and there appear to be no signs of damp.

Sponsored Links
Stop worrying!

The only time to worry is when you can see through the cracks to the other side or any big movement of wall dropping but even then it can be sorted out.

Thanks masona.

So even if my bay fell off, it can be sorted !!!!!

Apart from cracks getting wider is there anything else I should be looking out for ?

The purpose of my sometimes extensive and detailed replies is that these posts are a matter of record and anyone in future may search and at least find a reference point. I see little point in re-inventing the wheel as i've noticed happening on various forums.
Come the day when there is a detailed, pictorial reference library and a better system of collating information. See johnbridge.com for a most excellent site. Kind, helpful, no slagging or swearing and detailed.
I'm a believer in the WEB and the notion that most folk can do most things with a little help. I've certainly learned on this site.
I dont wish to be controversial although i recognise that i'm sometimes abrupt and to the point - exactly how i would be at work.

wisey, i didn't mean to give you the 'orrors. sorry. Do what you feel good about doing and i'm sure it will work out OK.

Sponsored Links
wisey, looked at the pictures and if it allays yore fears youve nothing to worry about follow masonas advice. Its been standing since 1930, the cracks aren't getting worse, it isn't going anywhere. If it was a new house id worry! Houses are a living thing and all the materials move at different rates. As an ex-surveyor my experiance is cracks rarely occur because of subsidence, and when they do you usually know about it!

Just been reading this old thread due to a similar problem... Do u have to declare this as subsidence on building insuerance forms?

Seen your photos and compared to my road you are all ok.

Similar construction of property here and age,most of the bays have started to part company with the main house building

Usually when the old people move out and young people move in,new (heavy) windows fitted instead of the original box sash and large radiators fitted in bays 2 storey a lot of additional weight we are also on clay which has a mind of its own.

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back