big flush, massive cistern

B

breezer

saw something interesting today, just wondered has anyone else seen / heard of it?

a big (5 x4x3 feet aprox) tank constantly fills with water (a tap drips) when nearly full it syphons out to............... the main drain.

yes i know its just like how a urinal works, but this one is there because aparently the main drain (in the road) is close to the surface, so the distance form this to building although far, doesnt allow enough "drop"

so to make sure the pipes are flushed they have this big "cistern"

it was in a commercial premises

Sponsored Links
....and it's ok until someone fixes that dripping tap.

Sponsored Links
It's common as muck. Ie that's what you'd use on a farm to either flush your slurry, or irrigate fields without having to pump.
Imagine a big flattish tray like a capital E on its back, pivoted under the centre line so it can rock to and fro. As it moves say to the left, the central divider moves left under the tap so then the half on the right starts filling. Am I making sense?
The siphon is a rather more controlled mechanism, which we see of course on "byelaw" kits on cold water cistern overflows

kevplumb said:
breezer what size was the outgoing pipework ? :D
are you sure it wasnt a high level bath :LOL:

i didnt actually look in it, i asked what it was for, the bloke also said it empties very fast, so i guess it must be at least a 4 inch pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back