Big Gap In Mitre Corner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do I keep getting a big gap on one corner of my picture frames?
I'm using an electric mitre saw and a band clamp for joining.

$_57.JPG

Sponsored Links
Agreed! But having said that it is pretty darned close. I think I'd consider adjusting that joint with a block plane or a sanding board

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this mitre saw one of the big ones meant for first fix rough cuts? :cautious: There is a bit of wobble in the blade.

Sponsored Links
Try a (accurate) set square on the inside and outside of the joint to see if you can determine which edge is running out. It may be that you are 1/2 to 1 degree out on the 45 degree mark of your saw, giving you the divergence. Maybe using a very thin shim to offset the wood before cutting may solve this problem.

It's a lot more likely that the saw isn't set up quite right or the blade is deflecting due to bluntness or that the timber is warped or that the gence is a tad out of straight over its' length (a common defect with older Makitas used on sites - can't say for other brands). Have you actually done two mitre cuts in a piece of straight, planed timber and offered them up together (glue with mitre adhesive) then checked with a known good try square?

You might be surprised to learn that even big box name mitre saws aren't always that accurate as bought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back