Mitre-ing tall skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, this is not about internal corners, glue vs screws etc! I've digested all that!

I am skirting a room with 9" high skirting. There are a number of external corners to worry about.

My little plastic coving mitre-box is too small.
My mitre saw with the captive saw is not high enough.

ANy hints on cutting a 9" high mitre without buying another piece of kit that will be used for one day only and banished to the shed?!

Sponsored Links
Could you not hire a electric mitre saw? It's not easy cutting 9" skirting by handsaw.

I am sure you wont need your hand holding to make this very simple piece of equipment. On this thread you will find a very good drawing of a an old fashioned mitre box all you need to do is make the sides a littlie taller than your skirting board.

many thanks!
simple when you think about it!

always trying to over-complicate things...

Sponsored Links
This type equipment is as old as the hills and proved it up to the job. Plus it cost next to northing. A lot cheaper than hiring one even. I would recommend that plywood is used for the sides, but not essential.

thanks

looks just the job - my local B&Q do not have those unfortunately.

I think i will try and knock one up myself......

I went to B&Q recently & bought one of these cheap & naff compact slide mitre saws to do my skirtings.
(they were on offer for £40 but are now back up to £69)

It's an awful design, the clamp is no use unless your only doing straight cuts, the laser is weak & offline & its already started to smoke after only a couple of days use.

So its going back for a refund.
Complete satisfaction or your money back

It wont be sitting in my shed.[/img]

I saw this in B&Q. It's not the best picture (cos I kinda looked silly taking photos of mitre boards) and I don't think you see exactly what it's like, but you might be able to make it out from the picture on the side of the box.

//www.diynot.com/network/Alison556/albums/408/4374[/QUOTE]

I have one of these at home from B & Q and have used it for all sizes of Skirting clamp it into the workmate and ensure you clamp work piece to mitre block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back