big gap in PVC windows and doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
The PVC door and windows were replaced only 5 years ago. The difference was huge in terms of noise. The noise started gradually coming back. Close inspection of both doors and the windows, shows the opening part does not meet frame, in some cases the gap is 5mm. any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
God, many thanks for the reply, I will take dome pictures tomorrow. Meanwhile, the windows size is 1700mm H and 80mm W, the sash is 1450mm and opens from the bottom outward. Only the bottom (where the handle is) shuts and seals properly and the gap gets bigger on the top and the sides

Top hung sashes always seem to have some degree of twist or bow halfway up the sash to the point where the gasket doesn't even touch and compress, i'm in the process of writing a detailed report to an insurance company seeing as every window in a house is top hung and doesn't seal.

The original installer has ceased trading so its been passed to the insurer via the IBG

Sponsored Links
God, many thanks for the reply, I will take dome pictures tomorrow. Meanwhile, the windows size is 1700mm H and 80mm W, the sash is 1450mm and opens from the bottom outward. Only the bottom (where the handle is) shuts and seals properly and the gap gets bigger on the top and the sides
If the gap gets bigger on the top the hinges are not pulling the sash in properly, it should be as tight at the top as it is at the bottom.

Exactly, that what is happing the hinges is not pulling the sash back, does this mean replacing the hinges

You could change the hinges or, if they are not broken and just need a little help (we all need a little help sometimes after all) you can fit "pull in" window wedges at both sides along the top of the sash. These will help pull it in really tight. There may be one fitted at the moment to the top middle of the window?

Hi bullet, I have checked them they are not broken, what you suggest is easer then changing the hinges as the sash are big, heavy and all them are upstairs. Can you please explain more how on how fit ” pull in" window wedges and where to get them.

Pull in wedges will not work when fitted to the sides of a top hung sash, it is physically impossible, they are only fitted inbetween a pair of hinges ie across the top if top hung and down the side if side hung.

You say the hinges look fine and still in one piece but just open the window and look in the very top corners of the hinge, you should see either a black end cap with V shaped cup inside it or it will be a metal end in the shape of a V, the sash part of the hinge should have a point on it, these 2 should locate into each other as the sash is closed, it may be possible the the point is riding over the outside of the V shaped cup and not into it, this indicates a worn hinge, if its a downstairs window get someone to thump the top of the sash when its nearly closed to see if this pulls in

Pull in wedges will not work when fitted to the sides of a top hung sash, it is physically impossible, they are only fitted inbetween a pair of hinges ie across the top if top hung and down the side if side hung.
thats why i said to fit them at both sides along the top of the sash

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

You say the hinges look fine and still in one piece but just open the window and look in the very top corners of the hinge, you should see either a black end cap with V shaped cup inside it or it will be a metal end in the shape of a V, the sash part of the hinge should have a point on it, these 2 should locate into each other as the sash is closed, it may be possible the the point is riding over the outside of the V shaped cup and not into it, this indicates a worn hinge, if its a downstairs window get someone to thump the top of the sash when its nearly closed to see if this pulls in

yes I can see all what you described above, the point is not riding over. Both parts do locate. Also there is a movement when the sash is pushed from outside it does get closed to the farm. Here are some pics

Bullet,
I have just did some and find these in ebay, is that what you mean by pull in wedges?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-SETS-S...I&ps=63&clkid=6297602491376163473[/QUOTE]Yes, but they might be profile specific. We use rehau ones that work on pretty much all systems, if you want i will post you some of them out, couple of pounds will cover the postage.

Bullet,

Many thanks, I would be very grateful if you send me some, and happy to pay for the postage, please email me on [email protected] so I can email you my home address and send you the payment.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back