big hole in the floor, any ideas??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently converting my garage and want to screed the floor but it has an old inspection pit in the middle. at the moment it is covered by thick wooden planks, but they do not have much of a bearing each side. I was thinking of filling it with hardcore and concreting over but it is very deep and reckon i would need about 10 tonnes of hardcore! and even if i did that i would have to move the hardcore by wheelbarrow from one end of the drive to the other!!!!

ANY IDEAS PLEASE HELP???!!!

Sponsored Links
:idea: Some short Bison beams and solid 7n blocks? :idea:

I don't think an unvented air void is a good idea though. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Couple of wheelbarrows, couple of mates and a crate of beer :cool:

If you take the advice of `noseall`could you use a couple of lengths of waste pipe in the screed to vent the hole? Regards JohnC.

reckon i would need about 10 tonnes of hardcore! and even if i did that i would have to move the hardcore by wheelbarrow from one end of the drive to the other!!!!

Get a 10 tonne load delivered direct loose from your local quarry. Get the wagon to reverse up to the garage. Tip into hole, job's a good'un - you've just saved yourself half a day's labour ;)

I was gonna say that.. if it's a garage surely you can get a truck up to it..
just tip it at the garage door and get to shoveling..

alternatively, line it, fill it with fish and put a glass cover over it.. :)

seriously though, you could fit a tank in there and store rainwater for use in the garden or for fluching the loos etc..

reckon i would need about 10 tonnes of hardcore! and even if i did that i would have to move the hardcore by wheelbarrow from one end of the drive to the other!!!!

Get a 10 tonne load delivered direct loose from your local quarry. Get the wagon to reverse up to the garage. Tip into hole, job's a good'un - you've just saved yourself half a day's labour ;)

surprisingly enough i had thought of this. probly my fault as i forgot to mention that in between one end of the long drive and the garage is a car port which would get in the way of a massive aggregate lorry!! Just thought there might be an easier way someone had tried! and to those who mentioned it i wouldn't put my booze in it as the job is 2o miles from my house,what a waste.

you can come to my house and hack off the insides of the external walls, there are a few internal brick walls you can pull down too, you are welcome to all the hardcore you can produce :) :) :) :) :)

And then later on, you'll be wanting an inspection pit... :D

i realise that 10 tonnes sound like a lot to move but it really isn't that big a job, assuming you are not barrowing it more than 10-15 metres. A full morning at it will see a huge dent in it. I'd say you'll have it done in 5/6 hours. Get a few mates to help and you could shift it in 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back