Big mistake?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has just had a fancy new composite front door fitted, with a long bar handle. The problem is that you need the key to open it when it's on the latch. While this may be considered an asset for many, for her it's a massive inconvenience - her freezer, washing machine and dryer/utility room are all in the garage, which is entered from just outside the front door, she lives on a cul-de-sac where people are always popping in etc and to be constantly "locked out" just by shutting the door is a complete nightmare. She's asked me to replace the barrel with a thumbturn which will sort out the inside but can anything be done for outside? I guess fitting a conventional handle to operate the latch? I think I've seen these doors fitted with two handles before and wondered why, but now I think I know!

Can anyone help? Can a handle be fitted? I believe the multipoint is operated by turning the key.

All I can think of is removing the latch and fitting some sort of magnet to hold the door closed when unlocked.

IMG_20210828_193146512.jpg

Sponsored Links
I wonder if it’s possible to fit a key code/smart door entry system?

she can have an insecure house, if she doesn't mind potential burglars being able to pop in. (I don't do this)

Or she could have a snib on the latch, to hold it back when she put the bins out (I have one)

Or she could have her key on a lanyard, and put it round her neck when she goes outside (I have one)

Or she could have a keysafe, concealed, not visible from the road or pavement or front door or garden path, for example in the shed or back garden, or concelealed under the car. It does not have to be easily accessible because it will only be used on the rare occasions when all the other precautions have failed. (I have one).

She could also look at the ERA Vectis multipoint lock. The reason I like these is that it has a 5-lever lock mechanism rather than a Eurocylinder, which I prefer for reasons we need not argue here.

There are various models but I think it may do what she wants

Examples

More Examples

I don't do multipoints so I don't know if it would be an easy swap.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Gearbox only

video telling you a bit about the split spindle nightlatch function. Also shows the snib to prevent it self-locking if it blows shut while you're putting the bins out.

I'd want to study it carefully before deciding if it was suitable for my needs.

Last edited:
Why doesn't she just press one of the snibs in so the hooks pop out if she's worried about getting locked out?

Thanks, not sure any other mechanism will fit the existing door. She's going to get extra keys cut and hide one in the garage (has a combination padlock). I guess she can get the hooks out to stop it locking but it means leaving the door ajar while in the garage doing the washing/unloading the car etc - cold in winter, and she has one of those alarm sensors that beep loudly when the door is opened (which she's always been quite happy with on the old door for security purposes) which won't work.

I read somewhere else a guy has one but said the latch barely catches and he can "shoulder" the door open in an emergency!

....'Hmmm the latch barely catches'....., not sure what you read there, pretty sure you wouldn't be able to shoulder open the door and your forgetting if it is shut as far as to be on the latch then the hooks will be activated as well

I have a similar sounding door were it auto locks when you pull the door when leaving, but if you are only going out to put the bins out say, it has a sneck function which keeps the door closed but with a bit of a shove it will open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back