Big sinks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to tart up our kitchen, and we have a badly scratched white sink fitted back in the 90s which I want to replace with a stainless steel one. I don't particularly want to replace the worktops as well, but the problem is that the existing sink is 1060 mm long, and most modern sinks seem to be 1000mm or less; so in removing the old sink I'm likely to be left with a hole that I can't fill.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who supplies the larger, 1060mm sinks in stainless steel? I've had a browse on the internet, taking in the usual outlets--B and Q, Wickes etc-- but so far no dice, and I'm currently thinking that it would have to be a smaller supplier.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The Franke Erica is 1120 long and 1 1/2 bowl....first class bit of kit, too.
I had to order it but it was here within 14 days.
John :)

Thanks for that. I've found several listings for the Franke Erica 1.75 on Ebay for around 130 quid plus postage, but most of them are listed with damage. Any idea where I can order one for less than 200 quid, brand new and in a box?

My current sink is 520mm deep so I'd probably have to batten the hole to take the 500mm Erica, but it looks like the best option available to save me replacing all the worktops as well.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I found that Franke direct didn't want to be bothered, so I went to a classy kitchen supplier* and ordered it, and the drain (McAlpine) from them. I got a wee discount too :D

* The kitchen supplier apparently installed a kitchen for A. Shearer Esq, who I believe is connected in some way to Newcastle United, which is a football team :p

Cheers again. You mention McAlpine, but that doesn't mean anything to me.
Does the Franke take bog standard waste fittings such as might be available at my local DIY store, or would I have to look elsewhere?

The McAlpine company do a waste that fits this 1 1/2 bowl sink, and it also has connections for a dishwasher and a washing machine.
They really are superb products and its all you'll need, as most of the important connections / couplings are telescopic.

Thanks, John.

My current sink is a 1.5 bowl so I've a basic idea of the fittings required for a double bowl sink. However--and at the risk of sounding like I want to be spoon fed--which waste fittings do I need to order for the Erica?

The fittings you already have may work perfectly well, but if they don't then the McAlpine SK1 (one appliance connection) or the SK1A (two appliance connection) is the thing to get.
The sink comes complete with plugs and strainer outlets - all you need is a tube of silicone sealer.

Thank you once more.

I've now belatedly discovered a pretty obvious hindrance to my plan: the existing sink cabinet is 600 mm, the Erica requires a minimum 800mm and because of the proximity of other appliances I don't have room to fit a bigger unit. Now that I know I can't fit a 1.75 sink I've started looking again at 1.5s, but all those I've found so far appear to be considerably shorter than 1060mm so I think I'll have to replace the worktops after all.

It may be a blessing in disguise because when I told my daughter I was only planning to replace the sink and leave the old worktops in place she was MOST disappointed.

Much obliged for your help in any case. :oops:

Sure, the big sink is only possible when there are other cabinets alongside that you can encroach into.
So, its a case of keep looking for a 1060 unit, or the piggy bank gets assaulted!

I'm actually quite pleased that you resurrected this thread, Steve, because an alert popped up in my email and has inspired in me no little sense of nostalgia for my 2013 kitchen refurb. I had no choice but to replace both sink and worktops in the end, because removing the sink revealed that the seal on the tap side had been leaking for a number of years, and the worktop was in a pretty bad way.

I also freshened up the old cupboard doors with a good rub down and a lick of paint, and taken together it made a tired old kitchen look almost like new. In the end, and for a first time worktop-and-sink-fitting DIYer, I reckon I did a reasonable job.

We actually moved house in 2014 and I know that I'll need to replace kitchen sink and worktops here within the next few years. After the above experience, and with the benefit of the advice I received in response to my questions, that prospect holds few terrors

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back