bijou xtension where do I start builders/architects..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need a little advice with regard to my latest project.

As we have only a small house, I work from one bedroom and I'm thinking of having a small extension fitted to the back, predominently to work in.

It will only be around 10ft sq single story (practically a conservatory), but I quite fancy having it made from glass, or something like aluminium sectioning and glazed walls & roof.

Should I start at a builder, or an architects, although the latter sounds well pricey

Anyone offer any suggestions?

cheers ears

wilse[/img]

Sponsored Links
To save cost,I would pop down to your local planning with a drawing of what you want to do,they usually very helpful and the advice is free! They have change the rules regarding heat loss & window type etc so they will point you to the right direction.You can also get the free planning guide booklet to help you which the conservatories info come under 'Section A'. Or alternately they can recommend a conservatory suppliers which know all the rules & regulation and this is all free advice! Normally you don't need planning permission,only building regulation providing its meet their criteria.Don't know the layout of your house,have you thought of using your roof space as it sometimes can be cheaper with a spiral staircse etc or a summerhouse with a good insulation etc in the garden area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back