Do I need an architect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be getting an extension to my cottage to accomodate a small kitchen. I will need to get the grimey greenhouse leanto that is there at the moment knocked down.

The area covered for the new single storey extension will be 8ft x 10ft 8" - so it is only small.

I have thought about saving time and money by drawing my own plans - then getting in the builders. I am a graphic designer by trade so have no worries about using design software. I don't have any experience though in what is required and in how much detail. Would I need to supply foundation depth too?

Anyone got any recommendations? - should I get an architect in for a small project like this? - or do you think it is do-able to draw the plans myself.

Sponsored Links
go for a building surveyour, he will be able to darw you up the basic plans, with sufficent details for the builder, and should be cheaper

Ask a neighbour, relative or friend who has had an extension done, if you can borrow their plans to see what is required.

I am not a builder or architect and have just had plans for a single storey 9 x 8 ft extension which I prepared myself approved by the council building control, so it can be done. It needs some research though. I would recommend insulation manufacturers web sites, e.g. celotex, and a book called building construction handbook by chudley.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: Most architects leave the detail to the old boys that have done it and got the T shirt...then take the credit from the householder. Liase with your local Building control. Good luck :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back