BioDisc --anyone know how to fit a belt that has fallen off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,
I have recently moved in to a cottage - unfortunately the previous owner had died so there was not much of a hand over.

After finding the sewage pipe to what I have found out is a Klargester biodisc (believe circa 2000) which I managed to clear I have found the belt has fallen off the biodisc....and appears that it has been off for sometime. I realise I need to get it emptied and serviced I would like to try to get it turning again as soon as possible.

The motor is still turning, and the discs can be turned by hand. I have climbed in and tried but cannot for the life of me get the belt back on and it seems to be too small. I am sure it isnt and must stretch or there is a knack to getting it back on.

Has anyone ever dealt with getting a belt on to a Klargester biodisc? Is there any trick?

appreciate anyones thoughts

Sponsored Links
Got to be totally honest I don't have a clue what biodisc is!
Normal way to get a drive belt on is to slip it over the smallest pulley then get it over the lip of the other pulley at one spot then turn the pulley by hand to wind the belt on like fitting an old style fan belt.

I know what it is ;) But if it's got a cover and you're going under it amongst sewer gas - That is NOT good.

Thanks @footprints image a septic tank with large vertical discs that are driven by an electric motor ...its officially a sewerage treatment plant which is a couple of metres sq. @Nige F I had the cover completely off the top ...there was no way I was going to be in an enclosed space with that!. I'll try again as I was trying exactly what footprints suggested, though I have to admit with the larger pulley being in touching distance of what I didnt want to touch and then having to manually turn the large discs covered in it I was perhaps just not trying hard enough, unfortunately the motor drives in the wrong direction to help....looks like I have a fun morning ahead!

Sponsored Links
All,
I have recently moved in to a cottage - unfortunately the previous owner had died so there was not much of a hand over.

After finding the sewage pipe to what I have found out is a Klargester biodisc (believe circa 2000) which I managed to clear I have found the belt has fallen off the biodisc....and appears that it has been off for sometime. I realise I need to get it emptied and serviced I would like to try to get it turning again as soon as possible.

The motor is still turning, and the discs can be turned by hand. I have climbed in and tried but cannot for the life of me get the belt back on and it seems to be too small. I am sure it isnt and must stretch or there is a knack to getting it back on.

Has anyone ever dealt with getting a belt on to a Klargester biodisc? Is there any trick?

Is any belt tension adjustment available? Eg motor/gearbox on slide rails, or tensioning pulley?

All,

Without stating the obvious,,yes,refit as above,but must be some reason why it came off!..There is usually some sort of tensioning mechanism

Looks like a toothed belt...I assume it's just a case of pulling the pulleys off and re-assembling with the belt on.

Lack of maintenance I'd guess...the belt has stretched, no tensioner from what I can see.

Lack of maintenance I'd guess...the belt has stretched, no tensioner from what I can see.
I can't see owt:whistle: but I know there are drive belts that are a lot stronger than toothed fan belts (specified by length and type of V) Probably Klargester can supply the correct one.

Thanks all -- I did manage to get it on with the manual crank method and if fell off as predicted....which of course I repeated a couple of times but within 15 mins each time it was off. There is no tensioner that I can see, its just a little pulley on the electric motor and a large on the axle with the discs. I do notice on the later year models they have a flange around the outside of the large pulley which I presume was to stop this type of issue. I'll be getting it serviced/emptied asap but might try the usual trick of a flat piece of wood to try to see if the pulleys have become unaligned causing the belt to fall off rather than something more fatal like the bearings etc (always the optimist!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back