Birdsmouths on flat roof timbers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start on my new shed. The roof will be a flat roof with EDPM over OSB3, so needs a minimum fall of 1:80. I've designed the building with a fall of 1:40 to be more forgiving of any inaccuracies I build in. I was also planning to use upside down joist hangers tying the roof joists to the header plates to add strength against aerodynamic lift.

Question: Is it ok to NOT cut birdsmouths on a shallow fall such as this? The bearing of joist on header is going to be 100mm, so at the deepest point the cut will be just 2.5mm... about the kerf of my circular saw. I'm not convinced I could accurately cut wood with such a shallow angle of attack. Also I've seen plenty of garden room builds on YouTube with similar falls that leave them out but not got first hand experience.

I know I could get firring strips cut at such an angle, but whenever I have seen them used they seem to have split at the thin end once the sheets are nailed down.

Sponsored Links
No you don't need to birdsmouth timbers for a flat roof.
And you can buy clips specifically for fixing timbers down to a wallplate as you've described - they're called truss clips

You would just skew nail the joists and strap every third joist with a twisted holding down strap.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back