Birmingham Bar - 16mm vs 20mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just ordered a couple of Birmingham Bars for a front door (1980mm x 5mm x16mm).

The frame is 45mm deep on both sides, and the throw of the existing mortice lock is 20mm.

The website I bought from only sells 16mm, but I managed to find a different site that sells 20mm.

Would I be better getting the 20mm version? Would it be much stronger/secure?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have fitted many London & Birmingham bars,they do help for what they are intended for (y). 16mm is fine.

consider using a hinge drill if your using countersunk wood screws,for a neat flush screw head finish guaranteed,

The 20mm throw is reasonable as long as there is not a large gap between the door & frame.currently use era fortress (euro cylinder) lock cases.They come with an all metal sturdy keep.

There are a few more alterations that can be carried out :idea:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to both of you.

I am intending on adding another mortice deadlock to complement the existing mortice sashlock, so will look at one with a longer throw.

Was also considering hinge bolts (although the door is inwards opening, it's in a concealed area so could be a kick in attack target.

I was also planning to install lockguards.

With regards to the Brum Bars, I can send the 16mm back at not charge, so should I go for the 20mm?

I can only assume that the 20mm is stronger than the 16mm, or is there some other reason for the two sizes?

Sponsored Links
16mm is useful when the hinge is fitted close to a wall,

20mm should be stronger but not that much,it will be more noticeable and more rigid. Doubt it will increase the strength that much.The door frame needs to be well secured to the wall and hinge screws checked to ensure they are a good fit and long enough.
Hinge pins also help. Maybe have a look at your neighbours security and ensure yours is better :idea:.

Hopefully the police have a crime prevention officer in your area who will visit you,they know the latest threats and be helpful.:!:

good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all.

I've gone ahead and bought the 20mm version, just because I would have kicked myself if I'd got the 16mm and somebody had managed to smash their way in.

Thanks for all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back